Unable to sign in to my Hotmail

sherwood38June 24, 2012

Yesterday a.m. for the 1st time Hotmail would not let me sign in. I went to my husband's computer & had no problem signing in and viewing my Hotmail.

This is continuing again today-out of the blue, I have no idea why. In RED it says "unable to access from this site."

I have an HP desktop XP-I.E and Norton for Security.

Nothing has changed, I have added nothing, no new programs etc.

I have no problem getting on line or into any other web sites. I have refreshed, rebooted, and can't think of anything else to ck.

If anyone can help I would really appreciate it!

Thanks, Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

Reset the router by UN-Plugging it for a min or so.

Joe

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 3:14PM
DA_Mccoy

This might be the cause.

At times because of user traffic volume Hotmail will delay and perhaps even time out. When it does this a cookie may be omitted, over ruled, or even deleted. On your browser clear your cache and retry.

Fingers crossed.

DA

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 3:26PM
sherwood38

Thank you both for your suggetions.

Unplugging didn't change anything-I did it twice & left it off longer the 2nd time.

I had already cleared my browser yeterday when uit 1st happened, but just did it again. Then I rebooted my computer-nada!

It is still telling me - "Windows Live Network is unavailable from this site"....

Not sure what next?
Pat

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 3:49PM
zep516

What if you Google Windows Live Network is unavailable from this site

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 4:50PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Have you tried another browser to see if it works.
Try that so we can rule that out.
When you cleared cache did you also clear cookies, history and all the options and did you select the time period of everything, try that.

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 5:56PM
sherwood38

I did Google Windows Live and I signed in using my usual Hotmail address & password. It let me in but was strange looking-all blue & listed on the left side, not the usual appearance. I clicked out & back to MSN & clicked on Hotmail again-and it let me in. I have tried it again a couple more times and so far-so good.
I have no idea what-or why, but I hope whatever it was is fixed-although I have no idea how!
Thanks again .

Re using a different browser-I have only ever used Microsoft and have no idea how to use any other. I feel lucky to just get by as it is as I am not very computer savvy.

Pat

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 6:36PM
DA_Mccoy

Pat,

Browsers are about 80% the same. It is the 20% that makes them unique. Don't be afraid to experiment as they do not conflict. Just when installing decline the offer to make them the default browser. That way your IE will always be your mainstay and comfort zone.
DA

Bookmark   June 24, 2012 at 7:14PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

You definitely should have at least one other browser in case I E fails. We will gladly help you with instructions on how to get and install one, it is extremely easy.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 1:40AM
sherwood38

Thanks again!
I am still able to get into my email.
I do have an alternate email address but only use that one for personal friends & family, so everything else dumps into Hotmail.

I have heard a lot of people use Firefox, but as I said "I know nothing" lol.....I always hesitate to make any changes-you know - "if it ain't broke".....

Pat

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 12:42PM
DA_Mccoy

This isn't fixing something. At least one additional browser is just a plain smart thing to do for any user.

DA

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 6:38PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

My reply to that is, yes but when it does break you can't get here to get help because you never installed a second browser to use.

Bookmark   June 25, 2012 at 7:29PM
sherwood38

Ok-I know you are both correct!
So which one to get & how to do it?

I really do appreciate all the help.

Pat

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 11:36AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I personally use firefox you simply go here(link is at bottom in instructions) and hit the download button to download it to your pc,in the dialog box you can just click run from there or if you saved it to your pc go to it and double click to install, during install/setup it will ask you if you want to import your settings and favorites from IE say yes to all that way it will set it up exactly as you have your IE, it will ask if you want to set it as your default you can say no to that, that leaves IE as your main default browser, that can be changed at any time easily.
Once it has installed you will open firefox it will open to the firefox website to let you know it has properly installed, it will only do this the first time, after that when you open it you will go to what ever you had as your home page on IE since it transferred that info over. It will not change anything at all on your IE.

That is it, you are done, when you want to use it just click on the firefox icon on your desktop, you can use it along side IE with no problems. There are some very good add ons for firefox the one I recommend first is the ad block plus with easylist which will stop all the ads you see when visiting websites.

here are the instructions with pictures
Install Firefox on Windows

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 2:41PM
sherwood38

Thank you for your help-I just installed Firefox.
You have been very patient with me & I appreciate it very much.

Pat

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 5:57PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

happy to help, if you want to add the adblock plus and easylist that is super easy to do also just using firefox go to the add ons page for it here
Adblock Plus 2.0.3
click on add to firefox it will pop up a box go ahead and choose to install it then it will want to restart firefox do that. Then go to this page and click on add easylist to adblock plus.
Add EasyList to Adblock Plus
that is it then it will block the various ads you have been seeing. All perfectly safe and all free.

Bookmark   June 26, 2012 at 6:21PM
DA_Mccoy

Good for you Pat. Betcha it didn't hurt a bit. :)

Do consider RC's recommendations as described above. They are needed.

As to other add-ons, why not wait a while until you get your feet firmly under you. There are very rare occasions when add-ons will cause a concern and I don't want you to develop a needless worry or a bad taste towards FF. When your ready research the Mozilla site for add-ons and then if you have questions this is the place to come. Remember add-ons are not permanent and can easily be removed.

Good Luck! Enjoy!

DA

Bookmark   June 27, 2012 at 8:44PM
More Discussions
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
Internet Explorer keeps shutting down
I have just ignored this problem for the past 3 months...
Lea Grabb
Owbist Where is Owbist?
Did he cash in? Haven't seen his dulcet tones since B4...
mxyplux
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™