battery longivity

upnflyinJune 6, 2012

Does it do any good to take the battery out of my new HP laptop because it is plugged in and running 24/7.

My old toshiba had the batt in it all the time and it wouldn't hold much of a charge after a couple of years.

I just want to know if its worth the trouble of removing it and storing it on the shelf.

upnflyin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

fwiw.. just bought Lenovo.. it has battery life longevity/conservation for laptops used mostly on a/c adapters... holds it at just under 50% charge always.

Maybe at half charge, sit it on shelf ? I know you're not supposed to let them go way low on the charge.

Bookmark   June 6, 2012 at 4:18PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bbbluz

You shouldn't charge your laptop constantly. If you only occasionally take your laptop away from a power outlet, but leave it plugged in to charge 24/7, you're leaving your laptop in a state of perpetual charge at the 100% point and that is bad for the battery's long-time health.

As mikie suggests, you might want to physically remove the laptop battery if you're using the laptop at your desk for long stretches of time. If you do remove it, don't store it in a fully charged or depleted state. It's best to store it in the middle -- between 40 and 50 percent of full charge.

I've read it is best to store in a cool dark place (such as a drawer) and wrapped in a clothe.

I do keep my battery plugged in all the time when I am at my desk but I do unplug the adapter till the charge is at about 50% then plug the adapter back in.

It's not good to allow the battery to go completely dead either.

Bookmark   June 8, 2012 at 10:51AM
More Discussions
Why won't iTunes let me sync audiobooks?
I have many audiobooks in iTunes and in my iPod. I...
caroline94535
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
Video playing automatically
I have Flash disabled yet still get videos playing,...
davestexas
Win 8 network settings
I need to export my network settings to a flash drive...
carolssis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™