No Sound, No Volume Icon, No Audio Device

barbbJune 5, 2009

Hello Everyone,

I have a Dell Laptop model 9400 running Windows XP Pro. IE 8.

I noticed this morning I have no Volume Icon in my task bar. Has happened before, but just would restart and would come back. Not this time. Went into the audio section in Control and says I have NO audio device! Only sound I have is that horrible BEEP sound when you make a mistake, and that comes on whenever I get an email???? Really weird.

I've started/re-started. Just wonder if there's anything else I should do before checking for new drivers, or do a system restore?

Thanks so much for your help. I did a search before posting this, but the posts I found weren't quite like I'm experiencing.

BarbB

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

Do a system restore that's what it's there for, + you can undo a restore point if for some reason you didn't like the results.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 2:14PM
barbb

Thanks zep516 for your reply. Yes, I know you're right, I've just never done that before, so was hoping there was some other "button to press" etc. Ok, I'll try it.

BarbB

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 2:22PM
barbb

Thanks Zep, it worked---however----now when it restarted I now have lost my whole bar that has "Favorites" etc. Only way I could get back here was to type in the address again. Don't how this has happened, but that whole bar is gone. Any ideas on this? Sorry to be a pest. Thanks.

BarbB

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 2:42PM
zep516

I need to to know the name of the bar you are talking about like yahoo tool bar?

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 2:47PM
zep516

If you are using IE in the browser at the top look for tools click it a window opens make sure there is a CHECK MARK next to MENU BAR.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 2:52PM
zep516

TOP RIGHT FOR TOOLS

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 2:53PM
barbb

Hi Zep, Well that's part of the problem, there's not even a tool "button". What happened was I lost the Kvolume icon when I was in IE7 yesterday, but today I downloaded IE8. When I lost the volume icon all else was Ok. Status bar was up (favorites, tools, files, edit etc) I have the Google bar also. Now the Status bar is gone. Can't even get to the menueUpside sound is GREAT!

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 3:00PM
zep516

Oh boy 1 thing at a time, no tool button I would suggest un installing IE8 and return to IE7 which will occur automaticaly, IE8 should be in the add/remove programs an the option to uninstall it like I said the computer will automatically revert to IE7, I know you don't want to do this but it's all I can think of. You also need to read some things about IE8 if you have not before installing it we can get some links for that..

Let me know,

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 3:09PM
zep516

Are you sure there is no tool button in ie it is on the other side the RIGHT side I am talking about below the search box CHECK AGAIN

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 3:19PM
mikie_gw

ie8 installs has problems with some google toolbars...

Here is a link that might be useful: IE8 Release notes

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 3:29PM
mikie_gw

right click the bottom status bar and do properties,, notification tab ... one item there is show the volume icon.

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 3:32PM
mikie_gw

you can also press ALT key to show the toolbar then the view menu item has Tool Bars ... and a check mark for Menu

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 3:36PM
barbb

Ok, all, this is what I have. When I did the restore I was running IE 8, but had IE 7 when it restored back to Wed. So I assume I am now in 7. My tool bar seems to be Google, I don't think I have the IE tool bar which seems to be my problem. When I had it normally two days ago I had both. I had the IE bar (status, with tools, favs, etc), and also the Google bar. Now I only have the Google although it's restored back to Weds.

Boy is that confusing enough??? BTW Mikie, I have hit the ALT and all I get is a dissappearing "circle".

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 4:28PM
fiddledeedee

Do you have a bar right below your Google toolbar with 2 stars to the left of it..then the name of this thread..and then a little square where you can do a new Tab? If so ..go to the right of that on a clear spot..right click... and see if there is a place there to click on menu bar, Status bar and etc....Not sure if you have it but worth a shot..

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 5:12PM
barbb

He Fiddledeedee,

Thank you for your reply. Actually when this happened I did not have anything below the Google Bar. Now, as of a few minutes ago, I reinstalled IE8 and whatever was going on is now OK. Sound on and IE status bar is back.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

BarbB

Bookmark   June 5, 2009 at 7:06PM
More Discussions
Basic Video Help Needed
I know almost nothing about getting videos from video...
chas045
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
Linkedin - Friend's Attempt to Subscribe me to it.
I know nothing of social media outfits and don't want...
mxyplux
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™