mother of pearl tile

berdavidsOctober 14, 2010

I'm thinking of doing my master bath with mother of pearl tiles but I need some inspiration. I would love to see some pictures if anyone has used mother of pearl. Also, any idea how fragile it is? Is it difficult to keep clean?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

Not really sure on any of your questions. I've never gotten past the price of it!! The REAL mother of pearl tile I've seen usually runs about 70-80.00 a foot, and I've seen it listed for as much as 470.00 a foot.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 8:03AM
plumkrazy

I'm also thinking of using it in our bathroom... but it will be a MOP lookalike glass tile, bc we can't afford the real thing!

I ordered a sample of this and its quite realistic looking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mother of Pearl tiles

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 8:26AM
kateskouros

mine is not MOP, but is the inner portion of the shell. it's much more subdued and it's amazingly gorgeous IRL. i'm sorry i don't have any pics yet -the panel in the shower is finished but that's about it. i think the tile guy is coming back to do our fireplace surround next week. we're having a ten foot expanse done in it too, as a backsplash to our vanity. and just because i can't get enough of this stuff (and i can't NOT use it since it was a tremendous ordeal to get it in the first place) i'm also installing two 3'x5' panels, one on each side of the door in the master bath with sconces mounted inside. ...and another set of panels/sconces in my vanity area.

i PROMISE to post pics as soon as it's done.

Bookmark   October 14, 2010 at 6:38PM
lorilook_gmail_com

I'm thinking of adding it in my master bath, but have been hearing & reading conflicting reports of use near steam or water. For example: Collection: Mother of Pearl Tile
Material: Seashell
Color: Pearl
Shape: Square
Surface Finish: Glossy,easy for cleaning
Size: 12"x12"(305mm x 305mm)
Chip Size: 20mmx20mm
Thickness: 8mm
Detailed Description: Each sheet of this tile is approximately 1 sq ft per sheet and is mesh mounted on high quality fiber glass for easy installation of your mosaic tile projects.
Application: Mother of Pearl mosaic tiles are impervious to the elements, thus it is great for both interior and exterior use so moisture is not an issue. Mother of Pearl mosaic tiles are great on floors and walls and have been most popular in bathrooms, spas, kitchen backsplash, wall facades and pools as well as a variety of other applications.
Characteristics: The mother of pearl mosaic tile has a zero water absorption rate, and this tile exceeds ANSI standards for water absorption for mosaic tile. It is strong, durable, contamination free, and only the best quality tiles are selected as our tiles are inspected for blemishes before shipment.
Manufacturer Brand Name: Home Elements
Manufacturer: Home Elements,Inc.

From Suite 101 a decorating site: (excerpt)
Design Suggestions for Mother of Pearl Tiles
Mother of pearl tiles should not be used in a wet area, or in an area which gets a great deal of moisture or steam, as this can cause the glue to loosen between the shell and the backing, causing the shell to peel away. Therefore, these accent tiles should only be used in dry, wall applications.

Also a tile store did not recommend it for wet applications, but I've looked at many design photos where it was even used on the shower floor & seat in the shower.

Any input would be appreciated.

Bookmark   July 13, 2011 at 3:39PM
flororree

Can I put mother of pearl on my whole living room floor if so what kind

Bookmark   8 hours ago
More Discussions
So upset about marble floor
This is how my expensive marble basket weave floor...
aiallega
tile drywall corner transition
I'm trying to figure out how to complete the corner...
mattt19
shower pan worries. Is any of his method correct?
Unsure about my plumber's method. Could I get some...
mmaggied
banjo sink? opinions?
just learned that a BANJO sink is one (or its surrounding...
mainewire
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Sponsored Products
Santa Fe Rectangular Dark Rustic Oak Coffee Table - 420-OT1010
$306.00 | Hayneedle
Home Dynamix 4467 Catalina Area Rug - Black-Brown - 4467-469-CATALINA 364
$39.99 | Hayneedle
Porcelain Floor & Wall Tile: Emser Flooring Perspective Black 6 in. x 24 in.
$5.51 | Home Depot
SomerTile 7.75x7.75-in Thirties Petal Ceramic Floor and Wall Tile (Case of 25)
Overstock.com
Villa Custom Gas Fire Pit Table
FRONTGATE
Atlas MODS Charleston Wood Burning Outdoor Fireplace - AMCHFP
Hayneedle
Metal Tile: Daltile Flooring Urban Metals Bronze 6 in. x 6 in. Composite Wall
$10.38 | Home Depot
Sample-Bristol Driftwood Polished Ceramic Pencil Liners Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™