water softener from Lowes

hilltophomeownerAugust 21, 2014

We are considering installing an off-the-shelf water softener from Lowes (Whirlpool 33,000-Grain Water Softener for $300) to address hard-water (calcium) issues. I see many comments about higher end systems, and wonder what they do that this system will not do. Would love to hear from you if you use this system.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xedos

they probably provide more throughput.

Meaning more gallons per minute will flow through them to your tubs, showers, ect... than with the lowes model.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 2:59PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bob_cville

Some of the higher end units have two resin tanks. When one is being regenerated, the other tank is used. Whereas with a one tank system, while the system is regenerating, any water used in the house is unsoftened.

Some cheaper systems regenerate on a fixed schedule, every X days, many of the more expensive one measures the amount of water passing through them to determine when the resin needs to be regenerated.

Some one explained to me once about how a larger unit can need to be regenerated less frequently, than one just barely big enough to accomplish the job, which can save money over time on salt, although I don't think I understood HOW this is supposed to work.

I learned all this only after buying and installing an off-the-shelf water softener from Lowes about 8 years ago and decided that when it fails, I'd replace it with a better unit. However it doesn't seem to have failed yet.

You may have more luck getting more and/or better answers in the plumbing forum.

This post was edited by bob_cville on Mon, Aug 25, 14 at 15:57

Bookmark   August 25, 2014 at 3:56PM
More Discussions
HELP PLEASE New Dacor range to replace old DCS (Fisher Paykel) range?
We moved into a house that has a 9 year old DCS by...
princesspronoid
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Appliance Budget -$15k. How to spend?
We have $15k in our appliance allowance. We need a...
dcnatfan
Keep your fingers crossed -Wolfie oven having DCL circuit error again!
So my Wolf has avoided the dreaded porcelain chipping...
a2gemini
Refrigerator Water Valve Leaking
Any idea why the blue cap (see red arrow) on the water...
tslats2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™