Has anyone seriously regretted marble in their bathroom?

rebecks99October 22, 2012

Marble in the bathroom? Regrets? Whether it's your floor, counter and/or shower? Man it's pretty ... but scares me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elphaba_gw

My contractor talked me out of even considering it. Said that only people who can afford to retile their bathroom every few years should consider it. He (and his co-worker) said it ages quickly.

But... I talked to someone just this morning who had "tumbled" marble in her bathroom and she said it still looks great after 12 years.

Even with that good report, though, it scares me too much and the porcelain marble looks pretty good to me. Our remodel hasn't started yet and tile hasn't been bought yet but we can't afford to re-do this bathroom and from what I hear, porcelain is nearly indestructable.

Good luck.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 1:08AM
writersblock

There was one poster here, one of the more popular marble subway bathrooms, who had a quite a saga when getting her tile. She posted as jeanninePC99, but I can't find her posts by that name.

Anyway, her bath was a smashing success here, and then two years later she posted this on her blog, about the one big regret she had. It's a pity the photos aren't available because it was a gorgeous little bath. You can see her bath album here.

Here is a link that might be useful: one thing I would change

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:47AM
writersblock

Oh, I should have specified her complaint was about using basketweave, not about all marble. Sorry, I seem not to have mentioned that.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 10:49AM
pharaoh

We have two bathrooms with marble. No regrets here. yet there is some etching but a light colored marbled doesnt show it much. The look of natural stone is unmatched in porcelain especially when you are close to the tile.

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 12:47AM
elphaba_gw

For those giving a testimonial for marble, would you let us know how long the marble has been installed, please?

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 11:08AM
angel411

I chose polished cararra marble remnants for our separate vanities in our master bath. They definitely etch like crazy- everything from toothpaste to hand soap to saline solution for my contacts. The polish is pretty much gone and they have more of a honed appearance. I have not had a problem with staining at all. These were not sealed and I have had them for 4 years.

Even with all the etching, I love them and would not trade them for anything! They still make my heart pitter patter a little each time I see them!

Bookmark   October 23, 2012 at 1:52PM
homey_bird

I've had marble in my bathroom for ~4 years now. Not only was it a lot more expensive than budgeted because there's a lot more wastage while cutting the tile, but four years later, I am not sure if I would do it again. Of course the beauty of it is ethereal. We recently got porcelain tile in our kitchen that "looks like marble", but.....one month after installation, it's no marble, although it is very relaxing to walk on a surface that would forgive you for spilling wine, soy sauce, lemon juice, tomato ketchup and bunch of other things.

Marble maintenance is painful. Even a bottle of toilet cleaner left on the tile will leave a permanent ring on the stone.

So, my advice is this: try looking into alternatives. At the same time, if you must get marble in your bathroom, do your due diligence on how to keep it clean without etching it. A lot of cleaners will etch it. It's not a material I would choose for a bath other than Master bath where access is limited and people who use the space are careful.

Bookmark   October 28, 2012 at 9:36PM
jerseygirl_1

I've had polished marble floors for 6 years in our masterbath. I just sealed it for the first time about a year ago. It does etch more from use that anything else and it has lost shine. There are no children using our bathroom. I still enjoy them. No regrets.

Within the last year, we have updated the tile and I added marble mosiac niche in the shower, marble window sill, marble on the half wall between shower and bath.

I am in the process of thinking about a new countertop and painting the vanity. As much as I love the floors, it's not a choice for the counter. I don't want to have to worry about stains or about chips from something falling on it (like to nozzle from my hair dryer).

Bookmark   October 30, 2012 at 7:24AM
More Discussions
Vanity color in small bath with wood trim
We are going to remodel our half bath/laundry room...
hazelwags
Mirror Mirror on the Wall, Why Can't I Find One I Like at All!
The countdown is on. We start the master remodel in...
Monrovia Mom
Need bathroom sink/mirror/sconce advice asap!!
Hello everyone, we are in a total pickle over what...
Jenn Cassie
Show me pictures of your tile 'rug'
We'd like to do this and are looking for design ideas....
kate38
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™