PDF problem

acraftyladyJune 20, 2012

Windows 7 and IE9 and my adobe viewer is all up to date. All of a sudden I can't open PDF files from online. I can go to the main page of a site right click and save the PDF then open on the desktop fine.

Let's say I am googling crochet patterns and there is a link taking me right to a PDF pattern I click and I get a message internet explorer has stopped working and I have to close out the page and go and find the main page to see where the PDF pattern is and save it that way. I think this just started a few days ago and I am puzzled what is causing it and don't even know where to start for a fix. Mary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zep516

One of the first things to try is simply restarting the computer. The second thing is to clear history, cookies in the browser. Please also refer to the web link provided for additional ideas.

Joe

Here is a link that might be useful: cant-view-pdf-web.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 12:43PM
acraftylady

Sorry forgot to say that is the first thing I tried was a reboot and clearing cache and all that and no luck. I can view PDF files if I save it to the desktop and open but if I come across a link online straight to the PDF the site starts to come up and IE says it has stopped working so I am thinking it's something with IE9. I wonder if any of the recent MS updates caused something. I think I had a bunch of them recently in the last week or 2. Mary!

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:17PM
acraftylady

Ok gonna try this but what document window do they mean? I tried right clicking the little yellow folder in adobe but you can't. Mary

Deselect and then reselect to Display PDF In Browser preference
1. In Reader or Acrobat, right-click the document window, and select Page Display Preferences.
2. From the list at left, select Internet.
3. Deselect Display PDF In Browser, and then click OK.
4. Choose Edit > Preferences > Internet, select Display PDF In Browser, and then click OK.
5. Try to download the PDF again from the website.

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 1:30PM
zep516

I'm not sure and I don't have Adobe installed. I'd imagine if you open Adobe it opens to a document window, but I'm. guessing

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 2:01PM
acraftylady

I don't know I can't find those settings in my reader. I have to go out and help a senior set up a nextbook to her wifi so will work on my problem later. It's no biggie but I would like to know what happened all of a sudden. Will boot up the laptop with vista and IE9 later and see if it's doing the same. Mary

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 3:51PM
acraftylady

I don't know I can't find those settings in my reader. I have to go out and help a senior set up a nextbook to her wifi so will work on my problem later. It's no biggie but I would like to know what happened all of a sudden. Will boot up the laptop with vista and IE9 later and see if it's doing the same. Mary

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 3:52PM
acraftylady

Bookmark   June 20, 2012 at 3:53PM
acraftylady

Well sorry for the multiple posts. Yesterday when I hit submit on that response I kept getting a white page that said internal error contact site administratior or some such so after the 3rd try gave up and didn't realize it had posted those 3 times. Mary

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 1:00PM
acraftylady

Well I just realized my adobe reader says special editionn or some such. I think it was on the new computer when I got it or something. I uninstalled that and went to adobe and installed the latest one from there. Opened a document then right clicked in the reading area and found the settings and unchecked and rechecked and still can't open PDF's from online. Here is one example of a site I can't open. It must be something from recent MS updates I bet. Mary

http://sewtakeahike.typepad.com/files/chrysanthemum-hotpad.pdf

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 8:48PM
zep516

It opens fine for me. Can you try another browser?

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 9:26PM
acraftylady

Installed firefox and it works fine there. This just started about a week ago as I know it worked when I first got the computer a few months ago. Mary

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 9:34PM
zep516

Ok. So it's definitely an Internet IE9 issue.

Lets reset Internet explorer 9 to default settings.

Google "Reset Internet Explorer to default settings"

You will find instructions to to just that. Have trouble let me know.

Once you reset IE 9 to default try to open the On- Line Pdf file

Let me know how you get on.

Joe

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 9:53PM
grandms

Why not use another pdf reader instead of Adobe? Or, better yet, try Chrome as your browser with its built-in pdf reader.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:13PM
acraftylady

Well I have liked IE9 since windows 98 and that's what I like and I don't want to use another PDF viewer. They have both worked fine for me since windows 98 until last week. Tried firefox once on both computers and all I got was freezing pages and IE has never done that to me. Gonna go try that suggestion and report back. Mary

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:28PM
acraftylady

A big thank you. I never noticed the rest button there in the advanced tab and that did the trick. Mary

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 10:38PM
More Discussions
XP backup reinstall
Back again, considering doing a XP backup (what's best...
jerry_nj
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
A free pdf to jpg program that works well?
I want to tear some pdf's apart, and wondering if someone...
shaddy101
Safe email emoticon download for FF or Chrome?
I don't find a "search" option in the new...
Evenshade 8a
I-Pad WiFi question
Wife has 13 month old I-Pad mini. I also have the other...
chas045
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™