Anyone have their brick on their homes 'FADE'?

Karen45624July 16, 2011

Hi,

We are in the process of building a home. I fell iove with Glen-Gery Knob Hill colored brick. Our local brick supplier gave me some addresses of homes with the same brick on them. Problem is that I noticed that on some of the homes around 15 years old that the bricks had FADED!! (almost didn't recognize them.) I'm hoping that they were a bad batch but would like to know if anyone else has had a problem with their brick fading.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

I've noticed ours has faded a bit. I would never have noticed if I hadn't taken a picture when we bought the house and again last year. The brick is a yellowish tan which goes all the way through and it has surface colors of rust, brown, and white. It's the brown and rust that faded.

I also bought some landscaping block that was a dusty reddish color and it is pink now. I bought it about 10 years ago and I'm pretty sure it is a concrete, not fired brick. They have the color all the way through and when one chips it is darker inside.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 1:39AM
Karen45624

The Knob Hill brick has a tan background with some grey, red, and slightly darker brown mixed coloration. It seems like the red and Greys are more faded out and the brick looks mostly tan after fading. Today I went to see another house that was 5 years old and the brick looked like new. I think I'm going to call the manufacturer and ask them if they have had complaints.

Bookmark   July 17, 2011 at 9:36AM
brickeyee

Depending on what the compounds providing the color to the clay the bricks are made from, some changes in color with long term UV exposure can occur.

Bookmark   July 18, 2011 at 7:01PM
More Discussions
Can I get a closet in/next to an 8'x8' ensuite bath?
I have 8'x8' inside the walls for a bath, and I'd like...
edwardshome
Clearing land - Forestry mulching
We bought our land and are anxious to get it cleared...
cricket5050
Should I add a window in the dining room?
We are going to have a long narrow dining room, husband...
Bridget Howe
Add second story balcony before framing starts
My house's basement foundation will be poured sometimes...
houses14
House Looks Small Framed?!
our home is 3200 ft.², by no means small in my opinion....
23meghan
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™