Does this look strange??

eire6678July 25, 2014

Rethinking our plans. On the left is the garage, on the right is a playroom. They are both set back about 16 feet from center of house. Will this look strange?? Thinking about lining them up with center section of house, but of course that changes floor plan inside. Thoughts? Thank you in advance!!!

This post was edited by eire6678 on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 22:51

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eire6678

Floor plan

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:53PM
sombreuil_mongrel

The simulated dovecotes in the vertical-sided gables look like they don't belong; maybe if the vertical siding was on the entire bay, not only the gable? Maybe it ill look fine IRL, maybe you have seen such in person already. Looks weird in elevation drawing.
Casey

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 8:59AM
nini804

I don't think it looks strange at all to have them set back...I think it looks more authentic and interesting.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:08AM
pixie_lou

I actually like the look of the 2 "wings". But then I'm not a fan of perfect symmetry.

What bothers me a bit are the 2 eyebrow dormers in the roof, the oval window nose, and the front door mustache dormer.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 10:16AM
PRO
Bridget Helm

The wings don't bother me, but I don't like the oval window at all. And why do the shingles wrap around to the sides of the gables. That looks fussy to me. Why not just a regular gable?

I wonder if it would look better to have not have little she'd dormers within the big gable dormers? Rather than shed dormers you could just have a window flush in the siding?? I'm not sure about this- just wondering.

Either way, i would lose the oval window for sure.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:24PM
PRO
Bridget Helm

On the right wing, I would nix the little triangle top/gable above the window. Simplifying is easier in the eyes sometimes and is always easier in the pocketbook;)

Keep the center if the house the focus

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 12:28PM
renovator8

An elevation would help.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 2:17PM
bpathome

It doesn't look strange, but would changing the plan be a bad thing? What would bother me ( and I know you didn't ask, but...) is everybody and their sister traipsing through the kitchen every time they come or go, get their backpack, deposit or retrieve their laundry, etc.

Just wondering about the playroom, since it looks like it's supposed to look like an addition, wouldn't a porch-like space be appropriate? With more windows? Would make a nice, airy space to play, and a pleasant getaway room later.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 3:29PM
saltidawg

"I don't think it looks strange at all to have them set back...I think it looks more authentic and interesting."

I also think the exterior looks great with them set to the rear....

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 4:05PM
More Discussions
Can I get a closet in/next to an 8'x8' ensuite bath?
I have 8'x8' inside the walls for a bath, and I'd like...
edwardshome
Beam in ceiling to divide kitchen and breakfast???
Yes. I know this kitchen breakfast room layout is odd....
Bridget Helm
The movers are scheduled, now what to do?
We called our movers and they will be here on the 16th....
aimless07
help, is main gable too flat/not enough dimension?
last chance to change it. Will this front elevation...
msmith110705
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™