undermount =) overmount

aliris19September 8, 2013

Is there any way to turn an undermount sink into an overmount one? Does anyone, say, make a sort of "bullnose" tile that could fit over the undermount lip???

I have a sink that I really like that I had planned to set into a stone topped cabinet. But now I want to repurpose a chest-of-drawers, which means probably I just want to drop the sink in ...

Any ideas? TIA!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

Have you seen Staceyneil's post on her bathroom remodel from several years ago? It involved a chest of drawers made into a vanity with stone counter and an under mount sink. I will link it below. Otherwise I have no helpful information. Stacey might answer if you post on that thread, but she isn't around much anymore.

Here is a link that might be useful: DIY budget elegant bathroom...

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:07AM
jrueter

I can't help you with a way to convert an undermount sink to drop-in. I think if you want to keep the sink, enduring's suggestion of adding a stone counter and undermounting the sink to the stone makes the most sense. And Staceyneil did a great job in her redo, too!
It is possible to undermount the sink to the wood top:

Eclectic Bathroom by Duxbury Design-Build Firms ARCHIA HOMES

Eclectic Bathroom by Santa Barbara Architects & Designers J. Grant Design Studio

In the comments from the first picture, the designer commented that the paint finish lasted about 3 years, after which it was replaced by stone.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:56AM
aliris19

Thanks, jrueter -- I hadn't thought of using the wood as the overmount material (duh) -- I really like the walnut counter breezy used for her kitchen so I *think* it's possible to finish a wood countertop adequately to deal with the water. I must say though that when I tried it a couple years ago I failed miserably. It's rotted really badly now!

I remember Stacyneil's great stuff! I love her kitchen as well! Thanks for the reminder, enduring.

I think I just need to find a really really big stone yard with scraps all over the place. Last time around we used a pretty small yard and they were a pain. Plus they -- oh, I don't want to go into it. Painful... :( A neighbor is a woodworker and he is so down on trying to get wood sealed well-enough to be a countertop with water on it. I understand his point, so at least should just attempt to find a reasonable-enough stone. I prefer the wood aesthetically, but.... I'm surprised though that there's no commercial solution, i.e., special tile for modifying an undercounter sink to drop-in.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 6:26PM
Babka NorCal 9b

Have you thought about Marine varnish? The stuff they use on boats. Many coats on ALL the edges too. Why wouldn't that work? OR the 1/8" thick glop used on bar tops?

-Babka

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 8:56PM
enduring

Have you thought of soapstone remnants? I made this sink but you wouldn't have to go that far. The stone, if a softer variety, is soooo easy to work with. I did this sink, backsplash, and counter. My carpenter/cabinet maker built the cabinet to my concept plan. He did a wonderful job. The soapstone I used was mostly 13" wide stone in longish strips, left over from a real job. The bottom of the sink was a larger piece so the bottom of my 18" square sink has a "one piece" slab. The counter was pieced together. The backsplash section was epoxied onto the boxed sink. I paid...wait for it...$5/sf for these scraps. But you have to be willing to do the making, and the discovery of everything soapstone :)

Hope I am not boring you with my frequently posted picture.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 9:08PM
Babka NorCal 9b

I love soapstone. I put it in my kitchen 8 years ago and still smile.

-Babka

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 11:10PM
More Discussions
Trying to reconfigure master bath to include washer dryer
How does this layout look? how could I make this space...
cinnamon01
Help choosing a vanity top?
I am trying to choose a vanity tops for my renovated...
singers11
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
HELP! Is this an acylic or fiberglass tub?
Here's a photo of the side. Can anyone identify this...
wmcjhi
New Kohler Levity glass shower doors...
Has anyone installed these yet? It's a higher end look...
blondelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™