Passwords easily cracked

owbistJune 7, 2011

Here is a very interesting short article on how easy it is to crack our passwords these days.

Well worth the time to read I think.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

very good article, it is truly amazing the speed at which the brute force crackers work. I saw one at work many years ago and it was much faster than I could even read, these new methods are blazing. Yet so many people are still using their pets name as their password!or even worse the word password.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 12:07PM
vala55

I found out my passwords are stored on FF, that's very handy for me, but if anyone stole my PC, they would have access to them. I guess that is a good reason to have password every time you boot up.

Bookmark   June 7, 2011 at 1:46PM
jane__ny

I wish there was a good password manager. I can't keep track of all the passwords. I let FF save them for websites only. I do use their master password and have a log-on password.

Just too many to remember!

Jane

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 11:37AM
arkie62

I have used RoboForm for several years to generate, save, and access my passwords. Of course if someone really wants to hack a computer I doubt any program would be safe. This is just more for my aged brain, otherwise I would never be able to keep up with all of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: RoboForm

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 1:47PM
minnie_tx

I use a form I printed off the net and type them in there with other info I might need and keep in a drawer

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 6:52PM
mxyplx

If you didn't have a password they couldn't crack it. Nothing to crack. Better off without em. :-)

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 9:08PM
vala55

I have a tablet on my desk and make notes when I set up a new id and password. When I finish I add the info to my code book and hide it. Then the only problem is remembering where I hid it. I had to learn the hard way to hide it in the same place every time.

Bookmark   June 8, 2011 at 11:02PM
gipster

I use LastPass addon for Firefox.I have over 200 sites with passwords and Lastpass does most of them without a hitch.Occasionally lastpass will have trouble with certain sites (maybe 5%)but it's great and VERY secure.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4-h5gWpvAc
Steve Gibson is a paranoid computer expert.(Which is good)
You only have to remember 1 master password.
Hope this helps ya,
Jimbo

Here is a link that might be useful: Lastpass addon for Firefox

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 7:49AM
lucky_12

Thanks for the info. My passwords stay with me and never on the PC. The sad part is, my bank recently notified me that my passwords along with other customers were stolen off a vendor computer. That�s three times in the last five years my information has been stolen not from my PC but from big organizations I do business with.

Bookmark   June 9, 2011 at 7:54PM
DA_Mccoy

I'm with V, I store mine in an nondescript book right next to my computer. Secreting the book wouldn't hurt though.

DA

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 7:41AM
secsteve

I first write mine down and once I know they're working, store them on a flash drive.

Seems it is getting harder and harder to come up with pass words that can't be cracked.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 9:31AM
vala55

I guess my passwords are on my PC because I have FF save them. I didn't realize they would be saved in an place that was easily accessed.

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 10:14AM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I too only keep mine in my notebook dedicated just to that which I keep in a secured location. If they break into my home steal my pc and also manage to find my password book I will likely be dead in the process so ....

I never let my browser remember passwords

Bookmark   June 10, 2011 at 11:50AM
More Discussions
which tablet
Shopping for a friend's 11yr old GD who wants a 10"...
abreeze
Need help turning old computer into HTPC
I have an old computer. c2001. Motherboard is a D865GBF,...
Pooh Bear
System Restore on new windows 7 need password?
I just bought an Acer windows 7 tower and when I wanted...
urlee
My computer just got infected - what to do ASAP
I clicked on a website that I was familiar with but...
debo_2006
GW/Houzz page rendering on my browser
Weird question about GW/Houzz, over the last six months,...
dbarron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™