Make Up/Task Lighting Question

sochiSeptember 16, 2012

I've been bugging the folks on the design forum enough with this space, I thought I'd pick the brains of some lighting experts over here. Or non-experts.

The draft design below is for a bedroom, not a bathroom. The whole unit is 7'4", 48" for the make-up area and sink area, 40" for the dresser and upper storage. I'm considering making the entire unit 30" high, or I will drop the 24" make-up area to 30" high.

I have good light from the ceiling, but I need side lighting for the make up area. I don't think sconces would work, as I will be seated most often, I think sconces low enough to be effective would seem oddly placed.

I've thrown in a couple of narrow but tall-ish table lamps below. Any other ideas or comments?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
enduring

Can you mount something on the side of your tower cabinet that either stays in place or is adjustable for you to pull out and use as needed. The other thought is recessed wall lighting that would be recessed into your mirror somehow. That would be sort of like attractive can lighting. Or could you have track lighting that runs up and down your mirror in channels. You could lower them when you want to put makeup on or rise them to a nice level for general use...No I've got it, you could put a Rev-a-shelve type pull out narrow unit into the side of the cabinet to the left of the mirror. This unit would have the lights mounted and a mirror in the center of the thing. Can you picture what I mean?

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 10:52PM
joshuasamah

Sochi, the best mirror I have found for makeup is lit from behind. The ones I have used at various hotels have been large rectangular or square. No shadows, soft lighting, etc. I tried to copy a picture to give you an idea but wasn't able to. I searched under electric mirror. Maybe you could take a look at that type of mirror. HTH

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 12:22AM
sochi

Enduring, I think I can picture it. I'm sure my cab maker could manage it. Essentially have a flat panel that can spring out with an electric mirror (ie a mirror with two bars of light on either side). That would be perfect for make up. I could also buy an attractive lighted mirror to sit on the counter.

I wouldn't mind having the back mirror lit for when I do my hair etc., as I really don't do much make up. The area will be mostly used for doing hair, putting jewelry on, lipstick, brushing teeth, etc.

I think two small tall lamps will give appropriate soft side lighting, but counter space is at a premium and the two lamps might look odd flanking that 24" vanity space. If I move one lamp to the right of the sink the light on my face would be uneven.

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 9:57AM
enduring

Sochi, This is my thinking. Take a base cabinet depth roll out and put it on the side of you tower. The thing would only be visable when you rolled it out to use for your makeup. It would be backed by a board with a large mirror mounted on it. This mirror could be wired to have lighting surrounding it like what Joshuasamah mentioned. There could even be a shelve that could hold your makeup. Then your counter would be uncluttered, no extra mirror needed.

Here is a Rev a Shelf Item. Can you see your mirror where the peg board is and your makeup brushes where the screw drivers are:)? Or what ever those "sticky" things are.

I am going to do this in my bathroom, but it will be my medicine cabinet instead. I will have a mirror on the wall instead of a med cabinet for lookin'

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 8:47PM
More Discussions
Which Tile Color for DH's "Manly" Bathroom?
The vanity/sink is the only thing we've done so far....
monicakm_gw
Trying to Match.....
I am trying to match a set of Dornbracht Madison lav....
Patricia Kuehne
robe hook in frameless shower glass?
Does anyone have experience with robe hooks in frameless...
nellie08
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
Where to place/plan for grab bars
We are remodeling our hall bathroom (and kitchen)....
crl_
Sponsored Products
Beetroot Purple Circle Rings Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Safavieh Handmade Majesty Light Brown/ Beige Wool Rug (2'3 x 18')
Overstock.com
16" Natural White Marble Vessel Sink - Chiseled Edge
Signature Hardware
Source Outdoor All Weather Wicker Circa Conversation Patio Set - SOO088
Hayneedle
Freeport Polished Nickel Four-Light Bath Fixture
$429.00 | Bellacor
Blindsgalore Sheer Shadings: 2-inch Light Filtering
Blindsgalore
13W 120V T4 G24q-1 Quad Tube CFL 4100K Bulb by SATCO Lighting
$12.99 | Lumens
Table Lamp: 60 in. Chrome Floor Lamp 40OK-5124T