are free standing tubs cheaper b/c no tile work?

erinb007September 9, 2013

Hi-I am just stating my research and unfortunately won't have a ton of time to plan a new kitchen and bath..rushed remodel. My true love is bathing. I do it every night. I want a nice roomy soaking tub (no jets) and love the look of a free standing tub. I realize you need more room, but it seems to me that you might spend less overall, as you dont't need to tile the wall by it. Is this accurate??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
palimpsest

I would say generally, no, the cost of a fully free-standing tub is usually more than a conventional alcove tub with a surround, even with that part of the labor taken into account. There will be a lot of exceptions, if you chose a very expensive tile or alcove tub, for example, but a basic alcove tub is the cheapest kind.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 9:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
numbersjunkie

You also need to take into account the cost of the faucet. A lot of freestanding tubs reguire a floor mounted faucet, and they are very pricey. But I'm like you - love my baths and love the look of a freestanding, so I will try to get one that allows the faucet to be deck mounted and hopefully the savings from eliminating the tub decking/surround will make it cost effective.

Bookmark   September 11, 2013 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
Should I be concerned about the lippage on my new tile job?
At first glance my porcelain tile job in my bathroom...
susanelewis
Master Bathroom with Laundry
Where would you start with planning the perfect master...
queenofmycastle0221
Kohler Archer Undermount Sink and Vanity Depth
Has anyone used a Kohler Archer undermount sink in...
Jill Wood
Wall Mural (Photo Wallpaper, Photo Tile or Hire Artist?)
We have one wall in bath that's a hand-painted mural....
stevemac00
help - can I recess surface mount medicine cabinets?
We have just realized that our previously ordered 5...
docellie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™