Shower Niche's

lniaSeptember 25, 2012

Hello,

We want to install a niche in our shower. 2 tile folks have indicated they prefer to build the niche versus us buying a pre-fabicated one for them to install. It would make more sense to us that the pre-fabicatedo ones would have better seals and look nicer but tradesmen have indicated that is not the case.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

THanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

I agree with your tradesmen. I MUCH prefer to build my own. Then IU can make then any size I wish, and locate them how I wish, so as to make sure they fall into the coursing of the tile. I've got several Laticrete preformed niches that were given to me when their system first came out. Since that time, I've installed probably 2 dozen showers. I've still got the niches.

Nuff said.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 10:20PM
cat_mom

DH built all three of ours (three different bathrooms) and was able to customize them, as Bill says. He even adjusted them after they were installed, prior to being tiled-in (so the tile would line up optimally).

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 11:15PM
treasuretheday

I agree with Bill and cat mom and would also add that most of the preformed niches I've seen are pretty small. I really, really liked being able to customize mine to the perfect sizes for my Costco bottles.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 11:19PM
lnia

Thanks for the input. Wouldn't the prefabicated niche would be more waterproof and less likely to damage over time? I totally understand that we would have more flexibility to customize.
Thanks!

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 5:58AM
cat_mom

DH built the niches in-place, using 2x4's or whatever boards he used for framing them out. Then the cement board went in (Hardibacker). He then coated the tub and shower surrounds with Hydroban (3 coats) brush or roll-on waterproofing membrane, including the niches. When he had to "move" one (or two) of the niches, he re-coated the niches with more Hydroban.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:31AM
More Discussions
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
bathroom window
I'm getting ready to waterproof my bath/shower alcove...
spielbass
Uberhaus Shower Column
Hello, I am looking for any feedback anyone can lend...
johnmaks
Replacement parts for Restoration Hardware Pivot Mirror
Hi All, I have a 24x30 rectangular pivot restoration...
isb182
Experience with Enduroshield
Anybody have specific experience or feedback on the...
gardnr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™