Blue Star burners are chipping?

liseebirdAugust 29, 2012

Hi all,

I got my 36" BS RNB range a few months ago and love it. After having it a few weeks the installer (who happened to be part owner of the appliance store) came back to plumb the door. I asked him about the white marks all over the tops of the burners that look like scrape marks. He took a photo and said he would ask around. Got a call saying he sent the photo to BS and they were sending me all new burners! Ok, great but now after one week, the new ones have the same white scrape marks. Just for perspective - I use cast iron pans sometimes and they dont have white scrape marks at all after years of use. I remember reading somewhere on this site about problems with BS burners but cant find the post now. Anyone with insight?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
willtv

Are these marks on the burners or the grates?
Since nothing comes in contact with the burners, I'm not sure how scrape marks would develop there.
If the marks are on the grates, then they're most likely coming from the underside of your pots & pans.
Could you post a picture?

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 9:26PM
liseebird

Sorry I mean the grates on top where the pans hit. I will post a pic when I figure out how to do it. But it's not coming off the pans because they are cast iron too. And after years of use, sliding my cast iron pots and pans around, there aren't any white marks on the bottom of them.

Bookmark   August 29, 2012 at 10:26PM
breezygirl

I have a mix of commercial pans with a couple of cast iron pans that I use on my CC rangetop. (I know, not a BS.). The tops of my grates aren't black and pretty like when new. Instead, they looked white-ish like they were scraped, not chipped. Basically, they look used. Is that what you mean? I thought that was normal.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 1:34AM
willtv

So, I just looked at my Bluestar grates and I have the same marks.
I use All-Clad cookware so I just assumed the marks were a result of the stainless coming in contact with the grates.
But I don't find it to be a problem and attribute it to normal wear.
Also, I believe, that unlike your cookware, the grates are porcelain coated so that may be the difference.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 10:29AM
guadalupe

Are you using propane gas?

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 10:52AM
liseebird

Hi thanks all for your quick responses!
not using propane. We have natural gas. I called it "chipping" because I didnt know how to describe it but yes it's more like scraping. To be honest, it didnt bother me until BS jumped to replace them. I only showed it to the appliance guy to ask, out of curiosity, what it was. But once BS jumped at replacing them, I thought it meant that it was a problem. I know there used to be a problem with the grates but I'm pretty sure I read here that BS is having them made by a different company now and the new company makes them better. I'm not going to worry about it since others have the same scraping. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 11:34AM
More Discussions
Best place to buy appliance parts
I have a GE range (6 yrs of age) for which I need parts....
puzzlefan
Who makes Counter Depth fridge less than 36" wide
Hi, who makes a counter depth fridge that is only say...
Brad Goodyear
good experience with AJ Madison
Got a really good deal on $5k worth of Bosch appliances...
logastellus
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
How do you get deals on high-end appliances?
I'm pretty certain that I know what I want for my appliances....
carecooks
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™