American Universal shiny hex tile for bathroom floor?

ethackerSeptember 12, 2013

I have fallen in love with a tile and color for my boys' bathroom. We were hoping to do the American Universal SX-550 (a teal color) hex tile for the floors and a white subway tile for the walls. The only problem I'm worried about is that the American Universal hex only comes in a shiny finish. I'm not as concerned about it being slippery (b/c of all the grout lines) as I am about the scratches it's sure to endure. Can anyone with shiny hex floors tell me how badly theirs scratched? Will the scratches be incredibly obvious? Will they at least scratch in the same color or will I see white lines everywhere it scratches? And what exactly will make the tiles scratch? The bathroom is on the third floor so likely shoes won't be on. And why don't more colors come in a matte finish? I can't find anything even close to this awesome color in a matte finish. I'd love any feedback or advice you have to give. Thanks so much!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
VictoriaElizabeth

We did shiny tile (large) and it's been a year and it's fine. We don't wear shoes, but other than that no special treatment. (Ours is porcelain.)

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 11:33AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
remodelfla

Here's a similar hex tile . This supplier has a lot of colors too.
http://www.mosaictilesupplies.com/swim-lyric-matte-glazed-hex-tile-lgh-206.aspx

Your other option is a company like Fireclay. It'll be pricey but their tile is beautiful.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 6:18PM
More Discussions
What is the strongest, best bathroom fan on the market?
We've had mildew in our old bathroom, despite having...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Minimum size for walk-in shower?
What is the minimum recommended size for a walk in...
uscroy
Help choosing a vanity top?
I am trying to choose a vanity tops for my renovated...
singers11
Lowe's master bath estimate....seems high?
Due to a 3-year old poor tile job in our stand up shower...
A McK
Should I be concerned about the lippage on my new tile job?
At first glance my porcelain tile job in my bathroom...
susanelewis
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™