Refrigerator size/fit dilemma

Max12August 4, 2013

Hello all,

I am working on outfitting my first house with new appliances and am stuck at this point with the refrigerator. We want a counter depth style as we don't want the fridge sticking out to far but we have 24" counter on one side and a 31" wall on the other. Getting something like the electrolux icon cd was the way we were going until we realized the doors would open too wide and we most likely could not get the right door open with the width available 37.25". Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xedos

Shorten the 31" wall ?

The water line in the side wall is also poor idea for a variety of reasons.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 9:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpollen

That's tough. My first thought is to get a single door that is hinged on the left and opens that way. That's inconvenient for use, but it's an option.

My second thought is, like the other poster said, to shorten that wall back to the cabinet depth, but then you'd have to add a couple of inches for the door frame casing. You could do a specially made thinner width casing, also (I have that on one of my doors. It's not very obvious.

Another thought is to get french doors, and if you can't fully open the right door, live with that. You will still be able to open it almost all the way and reach items on that side. The only thing you won't be able to do is remove the veggie bin (but you'll be able to open it partially & still use it).

Whoever planned that kitchen out didn't give this enough thought, seems like. But at least they didn't plan for the stove to be there. It's a tough situation. But having lived years in small places, I've found that there's always a way around a situation. Good luck!

Bookmark   August 8, 2013 at 10:33AM
More Discussions
do we like capital ranges
capital ranges ?
Jen & Scott Lehr
ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
AreBe
Getting the most out of Miele Masterchef?
Probably a dumb question... There are a lot of different...
schicksal
Bosch Dishwasher Problems...
We have a relatively new (1-2 years old) Bosch dishwasher....
ronaka
Vent hood, Broan, Vent a Hood, Zephyr, or Kobe
I am looking for a 36'' under cabinet hood for a 36''...
abick2
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™