Any issues using porcelain arabesque on shower floor?

aportholeSeptember 30, 2013

Anyone have opinions on using a porcelain arabesque mosaic on a shower floor?

We really like the look of this one and the price is good, too at $11.97/sq ft. The shower pan is 36"x48", shower walls will be the cheap $2/sq ft white Daltile 3x6 subways from HD with Laticrete Permacolor grout in Silver Shadow. We are also thinking of using the porcelain arabesque on the back of the 12x20 shower niche. The bath cabinets are white, lower walls SW Alabaster beadboard, upper walls SW Tradewind (light grayish/greenish blue). The bathroom floors will be a warm earthy gray variated glazed porcelain (Emser's Bombay Modasa).

We originally considered using a marble hexagon mosaic on the shower floor but the durability/maintenance issues with light colored marble on a shower floor are a HUGE turnoff.

Any potential issues/concerns to consider with using the porcelain arabesque tile pictured on a shower floor (other than the difficulty of install)?

Here is a link that might be useful: Details on pictured tile

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrueter

I'm no expert, but I would be worried about it being slippery, as these are a glossy finish, and the tiles are somewhat large (roughly 2" each). The specifications seem to imply that they shouldn't be used on a wet floor like a shower. I think they can handle the water, just that they may be slippery for standing on. Hopefully a more qualified person can give you better information - they are very pretty!

Bookmark   September 30, 2013 at 9:05PM
divotdiva

Very pretty but would use as trim / backsplash

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 2:04AM
lotteryticket

I really like the tile. But I agree that I would more likely put it on the wall. It could be slippery. It's gorgeous, though.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 10:27AM
pricklypearcactus

I notice that it specifically states that it is floor or wall tile and that it has a hardness rating that is appropriate for a powder room. I wish it specified the actual COF (coefficient of friction), though it does say "C.O.F. greater than .50 is recommended for standard residential applications and is marginally skid resistant. Indoor use" so I assume that means it has a COF greater than .50. I think they would look really beautiful in a shower.

Bookmark   October 1, 2013 at 10:35AM
More Discussions
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
Shower door for neo-angle
If you have a neo-angle shower where the tiled walls...
cataan
What do you think about jets and rain shower?
Any body going with or have them already in their shower? DH...
houserookie
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™