Whirlpool NL300 water filter cartridge doesn't turn

TNGardener19August 5, 2012

I have a Whirlpool side by side refrigerator circa 2004. I want to install a new water filter (NL300). The directions say to turn the filter 1/4 turn on both the removal (counterclockwise) and installation (clockwise), but the old one just slid straight out and the new one won't turn when I slide it in the slot to install. I raised the arm on the icemaker to stop the water flow. Is there anything else I should try?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
llaatt22

Were these directions packed with the new filter?

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 9:15PM
TNGardener19

They are printed on the original filter. And they are the same all over the internet for that filter number. I haven't gotten a new filter yet, I was figuring out how to install it first.

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:06PM
llaatt22

The NL 300 replacement is a 4396508.
If your old filter unit easily pulled straight out, it may not have been secured all the way in when it was installed. Then a calcium buildup might have obstructed the new one seating completely.
You might try spraying vinegar into the filter chamber and reinserting the old filter overnight while things loosen up. Then try to get the old filter to lock properly and once you can do that, spray rinse the chamber and install you new filter.

Here is a link that might be useful: youtube demo

Bookmark   August 5, 2012 at 10:09PM
TNGardener19

Thank you for the video, laat2. It confirmed that I was trying to install it correctly. I figured out that the cap that slides onto the end of the filter as a handle is the problem. It won't go all the way into the hole so it prevents the filter from seating. I seated the filter by itself temporarily. I assume that will be ok until I have more time to see why the handle doesn't fit.
I appreciate your help.

Bookmark   August 6, 2012 at 3:13AM
More Discussions
Bosch benchmark speed oven review?
Just thought I'd ask if anyone has a Bosch benchmark...
crl_
Daily Luxury Convenience (Combi Steam) vs. Tried & True Dbl Oven
I asked questions about the steam oven last month....
lawjedi
plumbed miele steam
i went to gaggenau showroom and the employee said that...
housebuilder14
Single Electric Wall Oven: WHY is it so hard to find a good one?
Hi everyone! We are finally WELL underway with our...
lovelylinguist
ge 36 inch duel fuel monogram cannot be repaired
After ten years my GE Monogram has been rendered useless,...
Mb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™