Always have hope

lindacMarch 17, 2012

Miracles do happen.

On Februrary 20th, I got a phone call that a friend who was vacationing in Florida had become confused, disoriented and was showing some slurring of speech and erratic behavior. her DH got her to the hospital where they determined she had not had a stroke and that night she went into a coma.

Tests showed she had viral encephalitis caused by the herpes simplex virus ( the one that causes cold sores). They dosed her with anti viral drugs, intubated her and provided support.

She was totally unresponsive for 2 weeks. Then a lung collapsed and they provided a chest tube and later that week they did a tracheostomy and inserted a g-tube to provide nourishment.

As of last Sunday there was no change....3 weeks on the vent and in a coma. And by the way she is 75....soon to be 76. I am sorry to say some were wondering when to shur off the vent.

Well, last Monday she opened her eyes and smiled, mouthed "I love you" to her DIL. Every day steady improvement. Today she was breathing on her own most of the day and even sat up for a while. She knows people and though she can't speak because of the trache, she mouths words that make sense. Seems to have good use of both arms and legs.

So....when you doubt, remember that some one makes up that 10% survival statistics.....and keep hoping and praying.

Thanks for listening....it's been a long month!

Linda C

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dgkritch

What a miracle!! Thanks for sharing and I'll be sending additional prayers! Scary stuff.

Deanna

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 12:11AM
wizardnm

There's always hope...never give up!

I'm sending positive thoughts that yout friend has a full recovery.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 6:28AM
sally2_gw

Wow! I'm so glad your friend is recovering. What an ordeal to go through for her and her family. You're right, hope is vital.

Sally

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 8:37AM
chase_gw

Thanks for sharing Linda, I love good news stories. I wish her continued and steady progress towards a full recovery.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 8:45AM
annie1992

I'm happy to hear that your friend is doing well and wish her a full and speedy recovery. Good for her!

Hopefully this month will be a better one.

Annie

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 9:53AM
ann_t

Linda, I'm happy that your friend is recovering.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 10:21AM
doucanoe

Wow, what a story! So glad it's got a happy ending!

Linda

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 6:12PM
lsr2002

I'm happy to read that she is progressing so well. I know there were a lot of scary days for her and her DH and everyone who knows her.

Can she use a whiteboard to communicate until the trach is out?

I'll keep them in my thoughts.

Lee

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 8:19PM
dedtired

Gives me chills! You just never know.

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 8:31PM
lindac

She's not well enough to use a white board...a week ago she was in a deep coma.
Frankly I am worrying about "tempting the devil"....I haven't heard anything today....am hoping no news is good news.

A week ago we were wondering when it might be time to take her off life support, now we are wondering when she can travel back to Iowa.

This couple have had more than their share....about 8 years ago he was diagnosed with lung cancer, they removed a lobe and all seemed fine, but he got a herpes infection in the lung and it collapsed and he spend 3 months in an induced coma in another state ( where their DIL is a Dr.) and another month recovering....And a year later went skiing at 8000 altitude!! But he could only ski half a day!

I predict she will play tennis again....

Bookmark   March 18, 2012 at 9:41PM
rob333

Wooohoo!!!!!!!! totally cool. Can't wait until you're knocking the fuzzy ball around.

Bookmark   March 19, 2012 at 3:43PM
happylady1957

Thank you for sharing, Linda. Please let us know how your friend progresses. Makes me wonder about DNR papers...

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 8:32AM
compumom

Wow that's extraordinary! Miracles do happen and we absolutely need to remember that with all the DNR talk.

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 1:07PM
More Discussions
Another Record: $4.235 Per Pound for Ground Beef
I read this headline in a recent cnsnews.com article....
grainlady_ks
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Slightly shocket at Joy of Baking video
I started watching the Apple Pie video and right at...
wintercat_gw
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
Question for Grainlady or other good bakers
My daughter-in-law has recently developed gluten intolerance--she...
laceyvail
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™