Dishwasher Installation

cubsfan_84August 6, 2014

I purchased a new dishwasher through Lowe's and I opted to have them install it. The installers showed up this afternoon in a van with the name of a local carpet company on it, which I thought was really odd considering I ordered the dishwasher through Lowe's. Shouldn't they be using a licensed plumber to install the dishwasher? The installers were unable to complete the installation because the shutoff valve to the water line going to the dishwasher is located beneath the floor of the kitchen in the garage ceiling, which is covered with wood panels. They said they could not remove the wood panels and that I would need to have someone else remove them so they could access the shutoff valve. My question is - should I just call Lowe's cancel the installation, get a refund for the cost of installation, and have a licensed plumber install it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xedos

"should" and reality are usually two different things - especially when dealing with a big box store.

Yes, get a refund and hire a plumber or appliance installer.

You'll need to disclose the panels when your shopping for the service so there are no surprises.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 6:35PM
shortyrobyn

It's not only a question of a big box store. How does one remove the "panels" in the garage ceiling to get to the shut-off valve? A plumber isn't a carpenter. Robyn

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 7:21PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

That's a non code compliant install. You first need someone who will fix that shutoff valve issue. It's required to be accessible. It's quite a bit more than a DW install. Not surprising that Lowes wouldn't deal with it.

Bookmark   August 11, 2014 at 9:22PM
More Discussions
New Bertazzoni Induction Range?
I just saw a press release from Bertazzoni about a...
ltislander
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™