Checking on Florida...

annie1992March 31, 2011

OK, California has been having torrential rains and flooding, now I see Florida is getting floods and tornados, the news said Jacksonville.

I'm afraid that I don't know where any of the Florida members live, exactly, but we have several of them. Cathy (Mustangs), Bobby, Arlene (beachlily), Shaun.

Are you all OK and out of harm's way?

Annie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shaun

A-OK here. Thanks for checking.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 8:18AM
mustangs81

It was brutal here yesterday but we came through okay. LakeMayor (visiting here from MI) was very close to tornadic activity; she emailed me to say she is okay.

Thanks for thinking of us.

Cathy

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 9:47AM
beachlily z9a

Just fine here on the beach. We received 5.25" of rain over 3 days, but no damage. We really needed the rain! Beautiful sunny morning right now. Thanks for asking!

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 10:09AM
daylilydayzed

We had a small tornado go through the schoolyard , it took a tree down on the parents pick up driveway. One tornado took out tents, damaged 40 planes at the Sun and Fun Fly in held here in Lakeland every year at this time of year. A semi trailer was blown over on its side and landed on two small cars by high wind gusts of 88 mph . I was lucky enough to get off the crossing guard duty before the bad weather started. I could see the really dark storm clouds starting to get circular movement going just before I got off duty in the am. The only damage at our house was the TV antenna, it got bent and twisted out of position. Reception was terrible, every station was scrambled in the picture and sound was choppy. But other than that we made it trough OK.

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 5:14PM
mboston_gw

I also live in Lakeland. We must have had a funnel cloud come over our neighborhood (actually was sighted by a neighbor). I was sitting on the floor in my bedroom matching socks and I suddenly realized I couldn't see the socks on the floor! I looked up and it was pitch black outside. I grabbed the dogs and two pillows, ran for the bathroom that is in the center of the house and got in the shower stall. Waited a few minutes and when I came out, it was light again.

One neighbor had the top of one of his oaks torn off and there are other trees down. I guess I was a little late in getting to the shower. I think when I looked up - it was already over us.

Daylilydayzed - did you see the picture of the trampoline off of Hallam? That is where I live. The guy's house inside the wall there is the one who lost the trees. The funnel cloud probably lifted the trampoline out of its yard in Sugartree.

What school do you do duty at?

We are supposed to have bad weather tomorrow.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 8:45PM
riverrat1

Checking in to see how all our Floridians are doing. Stay safe!

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 10:13PM
vacuumfreak

I'm fine in Orlando, btw thanks for checking though :o) We did get some pretty ugly storms but we really did need the rain and nothing devastating happened this time, so that's good.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 1:08AM
mustangs81

We had 65 homes in our county that were destroyed or damaged.

Bobby, Daylily, and Dboston, glad to hear you all are okay.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 11:25AM
annie1992

Oh geez, Cathy, I knew some areas really got hit hard. I don't suppose your horrible neighbor's house is gone, is it?

I'm happy to hear everyone is safe.

Annie

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 1:24PM
mboston_gw

All is fine here in Lakeland. Nothing like last week.
Thanks for asking.

Bookmark   April 5, 2011 at 5:28PM
mustangs81

Annie, No, the McMansion is still there. It eerks me when the electricity goes out (which happens a lot here) and I hear their enormous whole house backup generator clicking on so they don't miss a beat with electricity.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 9:59AM
lsr2002

I'm glad you all are safe. Wow Cathy, I'm glad your house wasn't one of the 65. Storms of any kind are scary.

Thanks to all of you for checking in again.

Lee

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 6:31PM
beachlily z9a

Again, we got about a 1/4" of rain, some wind, and nothing scary. The way it works in Fl--when a storm approaches from the west, people on the west side of FL get hit fairly hard and the strength of the storm declines as it crosses the state. Not always, just most of the time. That's why my little place in the sun seldom gets rough weather.

Bookmark   April 6, 2011 at 7:45PM
daylilydayzed

Mbostonsaid:
"Daylilydayzed - did you see the picture of the trampoline off of Hallam? That is where I live. The guy's house inside the wall there is the one who lost the trees. The funnel cloud probably lifted the trampoline out of its yard in Sugartree.

What school do you do duty at?

We are supposed to have bad weather tomorrow."

Yes I saw the picture of the trampoline on the TV news. I work at the Crystal Lake Elementary school. I live behind the school on Spicewood Dr. I do not drive to work I walk since it is so close.

I was so glad that we didn't have another round of the bad weather.

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 1:50PM
More Discussions
What's Your Favorite Meal? To cook, to eat, to repeat...
Celebrate the continuation of the forum, and tell me...
plllog
Photobucket Photos - Plllog - Annie
Hey there, I didn't forget to post PB photos for you....
solsthumper
A couple more questions about the new format
I've noticed that there's an underline, then gw after...
sally2_gw
Big Weekend Ahead
Hi everyone, I'll be making Crab Stuffed Mushrooms...
moonwolf_gw
It just dawned on me.....
that there's no Recipe Exchange forum anymore under...
Jasdip
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™