Buying a Pro range from craigslist

Tr8aceeAugust 16, 2012

We are starting on a kitchen remodel and I have my heart set on a Wolf range. I feel a little guilty spending $6K on a range so I thought about buying one from craigslist. Has anyone ever bought a high end appliance from craigslist and if so how was your experience. Is it worth it or should I just buy a brand new range. I've seen advertisements from dealers, are those safe to buy from. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
colin3

Assuming you mean a pro-style (safe for the home) range, Craigslist can have bargains. I got a year-old unused Gaggenau oven at half price from a guy, and it's working fine. OTOH if it breaks I'm probably on my own.

There's a lot of used gear from people who are remodeling, and sometimes dealers use Craigslist to get rid of overstock. With a dealer, I would ask if you have any warranty protection. With used high-end gear from homes, there are bargains because a lot of it is bought for trophy kitchens that get little use. But you're buying as-is, and remember that sellers are not motivated to point out flaws (see below).

If you are comfortable doing your own installations, or if you know a good handyman, it's a lot easier to assess the condition of stuff that's offered for sale. If you're not comfortable with the all electric and plumbing and gas details, and if you want a little bit of security and backup when something goes wrong, you want a good local dealer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Akerlof on lemons

Bookmark   August 16, 2012 at 11:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jj4444444

I purchased a number of appliances from Craigslist. I purchased a GE monogram 48" Fridge and a Ge Advantium. I might have purchased something else, I don't remember! I also sold a new high end range on Craigslist. I had purchased something at a great price (floor model) and then decided I wanted something else. The buyer was able to get a very good deal and I didn't lose any money on it, so everyone was happy.

I say take a good look at it, trust your gut and go for it!

Bookmark   August 17, 2012 at 3:01AM
More Discussions
Anyone have one of the new Viking Dishwashers?
They have rebuilt them from the ground up this year....
mkiv808
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
Has anyone dealt with any members from AutomaticWasher.org
I am curious to know if anyone has spoken with any...
anthony1717
Any experience with a Miele or other plumbed-in coffee machine?
Heavily considering a plumbed in cva4066ss Miele coffee...
Vandit
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™