Oil rubbed bronze...

aimless07July 29, 2014

Is it pretty safe to assume that the finish of oil rubbed bronze fixtures look different from manufacturer to manufacturer?

Is it going to look bad if I get oil rubbed bronze lighting from Feiss or Capital for my kitchen and dining, but then pick oil rubbed bronze ceiling fans and entry lighting from Quorum?

Ugh, I think it's me being too matchy again. I almost want to say screw it and just pick silver fixtures to match my plumbing choices.

This post was edited by aimless07 on Tue, Jul 29, 14 at 18:29

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kiwigem

Mix away! The visual texture is great and it keeps the house from looking as though you ordered it off a builder's menu.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 7:45PM
Annie Deighnaugh

Yes orb is different from mnfctrs, but it won't matter, esp in different rooms. Think about a friends house...do you even know what finish is on their foyer fixture or in the powder room?

Go ahead and mix and match...it'll be fine.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 9:59PM
aprilh

It will be fine. I also had the same question when choosing the soap dispenser to go right next to the kitchen faucet - both different manufacturers, but both ORB. Turns out, they look fine together. I think lighting would be even less obvious if there was a little difference.

Bookmark   July 29, 2014 at 10:41PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

ORB is on the way out so just be sure that you can source all of the products that you need in it.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 7:46AM
mom2sulu

If ORB is going out, what is coming in?

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:17AM
aprilh

Maybe shiny 80s brass?

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:21AM
Kiwigem

Bronze itself isn't going out. Using it as the only metal everywhere is going out.

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:29AM
renovator8

Bronze is an alloy of copper that is very hard and weathers very well and eventually becomes very dark if not polished. It is a standard exterior finish on or near the sea but too expensive and unnecessary for less corrosive environments.

The technique of rubbing aged bronze with oils is to produce reddish-yellow highlights which is an artistic effect used on bronze sculpture and is often associated with sculpture from Venice.

Modern Oil Rubbed Bronze finishes are considered "decorative" and are used inside houses but because of the high cost of bronze and hand rubbing they are usually simulated in at least 8 different ways. They will not darken but they will wear with human contact exposing the material below which might be anything from solid or plated brass or copper to steel. This is called a "living finish" which is modern advertising attempting to define a simulated natural finish as being natural.

So, the finishes from different manufacturers will probably not match and will eventually match even less.

But that's just the way of the sea!

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Have a personal build blog? Link it here!
I have LOVED looking through all the blogs that have...
sweet.reverie
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
New Home Build - please take a look
Hi all! My husband and I have been working with an...
prepmom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™