Tile Help - Please! Bill, Mongo et al...

katrine822September 21, 2012

Okay, we are in process of redoing my son's bathroom and using this as an 'audition' of sorts for the GC etc.. for the master bath, kitchen and basement. To date, I think I am not going to use this particular GC as he really isn't GC'ing IMHO, but that is another story.

Anyway, the first wall of the tile is going in - 12's with a slate accent strip through the niche. I expressly told the installer that I am a math geek/OCD about symmetry and while I would love to have the accent strip go right in the middle of the niche, my first priority is that I don't have odd little pieces of field tile hither and yon.

We went over the layout - fine. I again reiterated, I do not want smallish pieces of field tile - I want whole pieces wherever possible. So I go back up and find... voila. Small 3/4" strip on the bottom on the niche. ARG!!!

After him telling me numerous time that it just lined up this way with the slate being in the middle - my shennanigans meter started going off. I said if we moved all the field tile up that distance, including the slate mosaic, would that solve the problems? Yes. Will I have any goofy pieces at the top/bottom? No

He said that he needed to know before it set whether I wanted it taken down or not. I told him absolutely.

My question to you folks - am I being ridiculous? Bill and Mongo I sure could use some input from the pros here. We moved to Chicago from NY and I didn't realize just how spoiled I was with 'my guys' out there.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

Looks to me like you're now going to have a small piece at the top of the upper niche once he moves it up. What's it do at the bottom of the wall? PLEASE tell me he didn't start with a full tile on the bottom? If he did, you're now going to end up with that sliver all along the bottom of all the walls. Can you back up and take a pic of the whole thing?

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 6:25PM
katrine822

NO! He didn't start with a whole tile at the bottom! He had that much sense at least. He's back today redoing it - it looks much, much better. Thanks for you response:)

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 4:52PM
bill_vincent

I was going to make the suggestion, if he had the cut at the bottom, to take two rows off the slate mosaics. Then, you'd still have a nice listello band, and even moving the whole thing up to eliminate the piece, you'll still not only have a good size cut above the band in the niche, but you'll also still be pretty close to centered.

Bookmark   September 22, 2012 at 5:34PM
More Discussions
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Need advice. Subway tile on uneven kneewall
So I was kinda pissed off when I walked into my bathroom...
Michael Coates
Quality manufacturer of bathroom fixtures?
We would like to purchase the best quality for a low...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
Conflicting Contractors: how to anchor a shower niche shelf
Dear Bathroom Wizards, We put an 18-inch wide, extra-tall...
hobobrian
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™