Dishwasher repair - is this quote reasonable? DIY?

piscesgirlAugust 23, 2012

Our Kitchenaid dishwasher is 6.5 years old and has started leaking from the door. We paid $80 for a repair shop service call. They really didn't do much except run the washer and say that most likely it was a bad door baffle or door seal. They called back with a repair estimate of $350 (parts and labor). Is it just me, or is this high?

How labor intensive is it to replace a door seal and baffle? The parts cost under $100, so this is over $250 in labor costs. I am just wondering if this is a 3 hour job. Is this something we could do ourselves? Are there any websites with video tutorials on how to do such a repair?

Any input would be appreciated. Would hate to shell out half of what we paid for the washer to fix it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fauguy

Most times they over charge for the labor time. So even though it could take them 1 hour, will bill for 2. I would say if the parts are $100, that labor shouldn't be more than $150-$200 if it does take less than 2 hours to fix. So $250-300 total. I'd also say that the $80 service call for diagnostic should go towards the repair.

Bookmark   August 23, 2012 at 6:28PM
More Discussions
capital precision mcr304 vs. wolf gr304?
Anyone have thoughts on these two? Also looked at GE...
mweyandt
Need help with appliance choices, layout critique
Hey all. We have a preliminary kitchen plan attached. I...
jennifer2413
Coffee Machines
What is the best built in coffee machine for your buck?...
J Saleh
Refrigerator - Fisher Paykel, Blomberg, Summit...?
I am looking for a counter-depth refrigerator no more...
virtualanne
ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
AreBe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™