How to Grout Beveled Travertine

carrie2September 24, 2012

I need some advice. I bought a 12" travertine for my bathroom floor. It is 3/8" high and has what looks like a 1/16th" bevel. I need to know what size grout line to use and also whether the grout should come up to the bottom of the bevel or to the top of the tile. Even with a 1/16" grout line, it seems if the grout comes to the top of the tile I'll automatically have a 3/16" grout line. Also what kind of grout should I use--sanded or unsanded? Hope someone can help me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

Use a 1/16" grout joint. Those bevels are about 1/32" each, and you'll end up with what appears to be an 1/8" joint. You don't want the grout to be flat and flush to the top of the tile, but you DO want to fill in the bevel, with the joint sinking in JUST A HAIR in the middle once it's washed and finished. and yes, you still use unsanded grout.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 6:19PM
KevinMP

This will give you an idea of what it will look like. Bill's right on (as usual). My grout lines are 1/8" and were installed with 1/16" spacing and unsanded grout.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 9:07PM
carrie2

Thank you both for the good advice. Beautiful bathroom, Kevin!

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 10:21AM
pricklypearcactus

KevinMP, that is such an unbelievably gorgeous bathroom. And it would go perfectly with my master bedroom. If only I could just plop it right in where my master bath is now! What size is that shower? Really stunning.

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 12:30PM
KevinMP

Thanks. The shower is not huge: 36" x 60" footprint. I just finished the remodel this spring and, as you can tell from my other post, owe a debt of gratitude to these forums. I didn't do the tile myself but was very skeptical about my grout lines because of the bevel on my marble tile. My contractor (and Bill V without knowing it) reassured me. Although I thought they were too wide at first, I've grown to like them and the contrast caused by the gray grout. A lot of people use straight edge tile, and they really should know how the bevel affects the grout lines. But, like I said, I've grown to like it, and it saved me 40% on the tile costs (I was actually able to get my honed calacatta gold for less than $13 a square foot, which is a steal).

Bookmark   September 25, 2012 at 11:24PM
More Discussions
Did anyone buy a Venetian dual system tub from Costco?
I just came across this tub, looks good on paper. It...
abekker
Master Bathroom with Laundry
Where would you start with planning the perfect master...
queenofmycastle0221
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Need advice on shower valve location!!!
We are considering a fixed wall or glass divider for...
aboutdabass
Stop Frameless Shower from Slamming Shut?
Just completed a renovation of our master suite and...
ntrainer
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™