Interior Walls width/height

DanV1July 26, 2014

Hi
I hope this is the right forum to ask this.

In designing a house - in this case I'm using Sketchup - I'm trying to take not only the design into account but also the ratios of some things. In particular, the width of interior walls relative to height and materials
For example, the house I'm designing would be for the southwestern U.S. desert climate and with some examples I've seen concrete outer walls at 24 inches. With concrete walls that thick I'm thinking that the standard of 4-6 inches for interior walls goes right out the window. Then there is of course the roof load upon the interior walls.

So, using concrete, or even rammed earth, what would be an adequate width for interior walls at 16 feet high and an extra 2 feet for the roof assembly? I've read somewhere that there is a ratio of 1/10th to height and if that is so then the interior walls would be 1.6 to 1.8?

Thanks

Daniel

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
renovator8

I can't think of a reason the interior wall thickness would be influenced by the exterior walls or the roof structure. You need to consult a professional in the region.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 7:24PM
dekeoboe

Our house is concrete. The outer walls are 16.5" thick. The interior walls are normal size using 2x4s and drywall. I never considered that they should be thicker because the exterior walls are thicker than normal.

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 8:57PM
renovator8

What is the purpose of such thick concrete?

Bookmark   July 26, 2014 at 9:28PM
amberm145_gw

I have seen houses with high ceilings put in extra thick walls. They can look a little spindly when they are only a few inches thick and are 12'+ high.

However, it's only an issue where the end of a wall is visible, like the edge of a partition wall. If your wall wraps around a corner, or has door casings, the thinness of the walls isn't as apparent. And since thicker walls take up square footage, and cost more to build, you wouldn't want to do it where it wasn't really obvious.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 12:25AM
dekeoboe

Renovator8 - If your question was directed to me, the outer walls are not all concrete, they are concrete, rigid insulation, stud walls and drywall. The reason behind the construction method is because it was built to be Passive House certified.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:16AM
DanV1

Thank you all for your comments. :-)

Here's an example of a structure with 24 inch outer walls. Skip the intro, when the name appears click on it then Projects > Built > Desert City House. There are some interior shots but I don't see anything that could be considered a "standard" interior wall.

http://www.masastudio.com/2012/

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
House Looks Small Framed?!
our home is 3200 ft.², by no means small in my opinion....
23meghan
2 car vs 3 car attached garage price
We are in the beginning stages of trying to figure...
dotydreamhome
Leaking roof due to antique bricks?
Good morning! We are having a problem with our new...
cvazqu
House complete... Moving Friday... Photo tour
Hi all! I thought I would post some pics while the...
Momto3kiddos
Ventless fireplace
I know there is a fireplace section on the forum, but...
okla1706
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™