How to clean marble floors - what PH Neutral cleaner?

sparklekittySeptember 1, 2010

I love my polished hex mosaic calcutta tile floors so much that I am afraid to clean them. I searched a bit and only came up with "clean with a ph neutral cleaner." Can someone forward a brand or other recommendations on how best to clean the marble tile?

I also have a honed limestone border - ideas for cleaning that?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rookie_2010

Hi Sparklekitty,
I was also terrified to clean mine, I have honed calacatta. I've been using 409 Stone Cleaner on my marble kitchen counter so I mixed some with warm water and cleaned the bathroom floor with it. I also cleaned tumbled limestone and slate with it. No issues to report. I tried it on an inconspicuous area first to make sure. I also saw a commercial this morning for Pledge Multi Purpose which said it's safe on marble. Maybe there's a floor cleaner version of it?

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 5:19PM
gam51

I ordered Stone Soap Ultra from www.stonetechnologiesinc.com. I've been using it on travertine for a couple of years and like how it cleans the floors. It is a concentrate that you mix with water and it has lasted forever. It says it is pH balanced and works on marble. You might read about it and see what you think.

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 7:30PM
bill_vincent

Try this:

Here is a link that might be useful: Mira-clean #1

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 8:43PM
sparklekitty

Thanks Bill - The link did not work, but I founds something from Miracle sealants - http://store.miraclesealants.com/product_p/miracln.htm

Rookie & gam51 - I will check out those two as well.

So what did those use before there were all these specialized cleaners? Is there any "homespun" natural choice? I feel like I have a cleaning wardrobe (something different for every surface and wall) these days and long for some simple cleaner to do everything (or most everything.) Is it bad news to use typical all purpose cleaners (sprays like fantastic) and than wipe with water, or use liquid dish soap, or is there some eco stuff that is good? thanks

Bookmark   September 1, 2010 at 10:31PM
bill_vincent

Sorry about that!! I don't know what happened, but in the url you gave, that's the same stuff.

Bookmark   September 2, 2010 at 2:03AM
jacqueline5

I think I got the recipe I use from this web site five years ago when we completed our house. I use a homemade mixture of 1/2 Purified water (we have a reverse osmosis), 1/2 Isopropyl alcohol 90%, and a couple of drops of Dawn Dish soap. I mix it into a spray bottle, spray on, wipe off. Grungy areas I let it sit for a minute and scrub with a white scrubby sponge. I use it on my granite in the kitchen (Azul Bahia - kind of delicate and fussy), the Uba Tuba granite around the fireplace and hearth, and on the marble in my master bath floors, shower walls, and counters.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 3:20AM
catkin

Thanks, Jacqueline!

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Should I be concerned about the lippage on my new tile job?
At first glance my porcelain tile job in my bathroom...
susanelewis
Polished vs Unpolished tile for bath
We are redoing our master bath with a grey 12x24 porcelain...
btnik
What do you think about tiling the ceiling of the shower?
This dovetails with previous posts where I've discussed...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Do I really need a steam shower?
We are in the process of finalizing plans for redoing...
attygirl
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™