1/4 inch glass for shower door?

kateydSeptember 23, 2008

I just got a quote for a shower enclosure. It is frameless, a fixed panel and 28 inch door for a 4 foot tiled shower, total about 46 inches across. The quote was for 1/4 inch clear glass and was $1095, installed. This is a local shop, they do the best work in out town. Does any one have a custom door with 1/4" glass?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alex399

Frameless in 1/4"?? Dont do it... 3/8 is the minimum for a hinged door that size...

If the stationary panel is only attached at one wall and the curb, my door guy makes those out of 1/2" glass for added stability. Since your fixed panel is only 18" wide, I'd say you're safe with 3/8" glass.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 8:28PM
kateyd

Thanks for the response, I was really liking that price but I thought I should ask for opinions. The shower door we took down is 1/4 inch frameless door but has a track across top and bottom holding fixed panel. It kinda wobbles a bit when we open it and is not as tall ( was on a fiberglass shower). The estimate for 3/8 glass was over $2100 for door and fixed panel, about 46 inches across.

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 5:09PM
marlene_2007

I got a Showerguard door just a little bit bigger than yours for about $1500 (3/8" glass). None of my bids which included 1/2" and Starphire were higher than $1600. I am in Portland, OR.

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 8:59PM
tom_p_pa

46" wide...go with french doors to eliminate the fixed panel. A much improved installation.

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 7:22PM
alex399

The estimate for 3/8 glass was over $2100

Get another estimate...

Things cost a fortune where I am, and I still dont pay that much... I had 6' frameless bypass sliders 3/8" glass installed in a customers home last month for $800. My own shower has a 1/2" panel 42"x 72, and a 3/8" door 28"x72"... I paid $1500.

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 8:19PM
ruzas1987_gmail_com

I'm a union Glazier glass showers should always be at least 3/8 inch glass, common for middleclass residential... 1/2inch is a higher end product. Do not do 1/4 inch

Bookmark   March 25, 2011 at 1:14AM
More Discussions
Tile or what for top of shower bench and knee wall?
We are remodeling our master bath and will have a shower...
risforremodel
Looking for Dupe to RH Nolan Sconce
Has anyone run across sconces that look similar to...
Jill Wood
Question for Bill or other expert about Redguard waterproofing
Bill, Hope you recall I posted the whirlpool / shower...
lenitsa
Starting from dirt- literally! A basement bath DIY Adventure pt2
Ok, since Garden Web puts a limit on the length of...
hunzi
Kerdi Shower Part Deux
Here's Part Deux. The original Kerdi Shower thread...
mongoct
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™