Laticrete grout and also sealer-for-marble questions

docrckSeptember 8, 2012

Hi

We are redoing two bathrooms and I'm looking for some advice regarding grout and sealers.

The first bathroom floor will be honed carrera marble basket-weave with bardiglio dots. The second bathroom floor will be 2 inch carrera marble hexagons. The walls in both bathrooms will be 3X6 white subway tiles.

In terms of products, we're going with Laticrete. So based on everything I've read so far, is our understanding below correct?

-Use UNSANDED grout on the floors (because they are marble AND I expect the grout lines to be less than 1/8 inch).

-If this is correct, then Laticrete permacolor grout is the one to use and not spectralock.

Regarding sealing the marble tile on the floors (both the hex's and the basket-weave), should we:

-Seal BOTH before it is grouted AND after grouting as well?

-Use a solvent-based sealer (as opposed to a water-based one)?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

docrck

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

-Use UNSANDED grout on the floors (because they are marble AND I expect the grout lines to be less than 1/8 inch).
-If this is correct, then Laticrete permacolor grout is the one to use and not spectralock.

Not exactly. The unsanded grout from Laticrete is their 1600 series grout. BOTH the Permacolor AND Spectralock have a sand in them that's so fine that they can be used for ANY situation. The Permacolor is a cement based grout, and the Spectralock is an epoxy. (IOW, ANY of the three could be used in this situation)

As for Sealers, use a solvent based sealer after it's grouted.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 4:57PM
docrck

Thanks very much Bill V.

Since any of the three grouts could be used, do you have a preference or recommendation for which one to go with? Is there one that would be best to use?

Also, any recommendation on which solvent-based sealer to use after the tiles are grouted?

Many thanks in advance,

docrck

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 8:47AM
bill_vincent

My choice would be the permacolor, even though it's a little tougher to use. As for sealer, Miracle's 511 impregnator will work well.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 8:12AM
docrck

Thanks Bill V. Most helpful. Can you help me understand what you mean by "tougher to use"? I don't think my contractor has used this before so I want to be sure I know what it entails and can follow this with him. Many thanks again

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 9:42AM
wolfgang80

Is there a legitimate concern that grouting can cause stains on an unsealed honed marble? We were going to seal before grouting our floors as a precaution. Is there any downside to sealing before grouting?

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 12:47PM
docrck

Hi

Wanted to bump this up again. Any thoughts on what makes Permacolor "tougher to use"?

Thanks!

docrck

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 10:24PM
bill_vincent

wolfgang-- If you use a grout with a real fine pigment, yes it can stain (usually bold colors, like a deep red, or dark blue, green, brown, or black). And no, there's no down side to sealing prior to grouting.

docrck-- it's a quick setting grout, so you have to work faster than normal with it.

Bookmark   September 19, 2012 at 10:53PM
docrck

Thanks Bill. Will inform the contractor of this and keep everyone posted.

Reno starts on Monday!

Bookmark   September 21, 2012 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
Experience with Enduroshield
Anybody have specific experience or feedback on the...
gardnr
Has anyone seen an interior door handle like this in the States?
Sorry for the link but I couldn't find an image to...
ceezeecz
Quality Pocket Door Frames?
(Please accept my apology for the duplicate post -...
ahmnj
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
extra tile decisions
It turns out I have more grey crackle tile than I needed...
edwina 1330
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™