GE Washer pulling 53 amps during spin cycle

grydAugust 14, 2012

I have a 10 year old top loader GE washing machine model - WBSE3120bww. My utility company came out free of charge to make sure I didn't have voltage issues. They hooked up a device and laptop to my electrical box and determined that my washer was pulling 53 amps during spin cycle causing house lights on all circuits to flicker. It does sound like it struggles during agitation as well.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? Is it worth fixing a ten year old machine?

Thanks,

Greg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jakvis

Your washer pulling 53 amps is impossible without blowing a breaker. Your washer is connected to a 15 amp or possibly a 20 amp breaker.
Most likely your washer is pulling 5.3 amps

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 4:10PM
attofarad

Since that washer should be protected by a 15 ampere or 20 ampere breaker, why isn't the breaker tripping? The washer is rated at 10 amperes.

If they are just seeing a spike to 53 amperes, not long enough to trip the breaker, you could have a defective startup capacitor, or the associated centrifugal switch. Or something totally different. Is is just at the start of a spin cycle, or continuing?

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 4:14PM
gryd

It continues for a couple minutes. It was my utility company that did the test. It was probably just a spike then to 53 amps. They are recording my home's energy out of courtesy. I will ask them about why the breaker isn't tripping when they return. Thanks!

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 9:31PM
More Discussions
Questions about noisy back draft damper on vent hood roof cap
One female here who is definitely not a diy type person....
texasgal47
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
Install Question for Subzero Undercounter UC24 BG/S Beverage Center
We're looking to install a Subzero UC24 BG/S Undercounter...
pbx2
Wolf oven error on self clean: TCO detect as open
I've had two Wolf E series for nearly 2 years (single...
repac
motor for bluestar hood
I recently purchased a floor model bluestar range and...
shelly_ok
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™