lcd vs plasma

sugar_flMay 17, 2012

I may be posting this where it doesn't belong but don't know where else to put it.

I need a TV. All I can find is LCD & PLASMA. LCD is a lot cheaper but a friend told me that they don't last as long. Another problem is plasma is so large & my apt is so small.

What experiences have all of U had with LCD TVs?

My monitor is LCD & it has served me well.

Thanks,

Dar

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mikie_gw

You don't say what size you want but if not huge I know without a doubt I would be looking at LED TV's . Just looked at 32 inch.. $278 price is reasonable at Walmarts stuff.

LED is so very low on power usage..its really kind of WoW on the power bill if you run the tv lots. And its bright too & should last long time.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 4:42PM
azinoh

I have 2 Samsung LCDs (a 46 in 1080p & a 32 in 720p) that are both 2010 models. They still look as good as new and have given me no problems whatsoever. Others may disagree, but I've yet to see another brand that looks better than what I have & I've seen a great many that don't look as good. YMMV. Good luck with your choice.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 5:19PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I would only go plasma when I got my 58" Samsung plasma tv. I went and viewed various types but to me that plasma surpassed all. I have never been sorry, we adore it. Got ours at Costco.
The only way you can determine what you want is to go view some. I would suggest LED if going that route.
Personally I would do the same thing again.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 7:05PM
DA_Mccoy

I remembered the below thread that I recovered by using the Forum's search engine.

My Samsung is still outstanding, and my daughter's family purchased the comparable model this year and it is just as great.

When doing my research in 2011 Consumer Reports then stated most viewers cannot tell the difference between LCD and LED.

DA

Here is a link that might be useful: Computer Help

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 7:12PM
Farbuncle

I have a plasma and two lcd's, the plasma is much better, but the lcd is good

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 8:49PM
sushipup1

Plasma may have a wonderful picture, but if you have a bright room, you'll get a lot of reflection off the plasma's shiny screen. In that circumstance, the LCD is far better.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 9:23PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Samsung has technology that defeats that problem. The room my tv is in has one big full wall of glass that gets direct sunlight for a good portion of the day and here in the Houston area that means bright sunshine, the windows have zero tint and zero coverings, so just straight clear glass wall. If there was going to be a problem we have the perfect situation for it. But not a problem, even when the sun is shining straight in. We can sit any where in the room and watch the tv. That was one of my main reasons for choosing the Samsung.

Now one thing is that the plasmas are much heavier than LCD or Led.

Another reason I personally wanted plasma is the ease of cleaning, it is a glass screen, I don't like the LCD on my monitor because of its screen and how careful you have to be in cleaning it.

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 1:40AM
sugar_fl

UH OH now I have another question..
What is the difference in LCD & Led?
Dar

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 2:13AM
DA_Mccoy

Using our friend Google, type in the keywords "LCD versus LED" (sans quotes). You get all the reading you need about the difference, and buyer guides.

DA

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 8:18AM
mike_kaiser_gw

There are two kinds of TVs, plasma and LCD. LED is a subset of LCD and refers to how the panel is light. LED offers some advantages, depending on how the LEDs are used to light the panel. One of the biggest challenges with LCD panels has always been making black appear truly black because with LCD light passes through the panel. With some, typically expensive, LCDs the LEDs are placed the behind the panel and can be selectively turned off. The result is blacker blacks.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 9:55AM
urlee

Dar,
I am at my wits end trying to find a TV to replace my 50" big screen plasma Mitsubishi which recently stopped displaying the pictures. Can be watched using (going through) my standalone DVR but then I can not watch a different channel when recording.
I had 11 years of enjoyment (screen size) but 11 years of unhappiness of fighting the GLARE of the screen. Hopefully I will find a TV I can watch without glare and not having to pull down all my shades in the daytime!
Trying to convince myself a 47" will do. (miss 50"?)
I found this site VERY helpful in explaining many of the questions I wanted to know about the new TVs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Superb info

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 1:17PM
azinoh

Interesting that the link above agrees with me. The first "best LCD" on the list is the current model of the same Samsung I have (mine is a LN46C610). Great tv for the price. If I needed another tv tomorrow, the first one I'd look at would be a Samsung.

Bookmark   May 20, 2012 at 2:44PM
Farbuncle

Why would anyone want to watch a tv in a brightly lit room? AS to which is best under those conditions is a matter of opinion. The LCD also has glare and the picture has a very washed out appearance. My choice would be neither under those conditions.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 12:19PM
sushipup1

Why would anyone watch TV in a brightly lit room? Because most of us who have windows don't want to love in a cave and keep the curtains drawn all the time. Or the room is otherwise lit, like a kitchen.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 12:22PM
DA_Mccoy

"Why would anyone watch TV in a brightly lit room?"

I have a 30x20 foot living room facing the south. The room opens north through a 12 foot arch to the dining room. The dining room has a traditional Anderson door wall while the living room has a large Pella bay window. So I have a great open air presentation, lots of room, lots of comfort, and lots of light. And living out in rural America I don't close my blinds day or night. So plasma was not considered here.

From the squidoo.com page referred to: "Summary: There is little benefit in paying more for an LED HDTV rather than simply getting an LCD HDTV. The whole LED market is more hype than anything else. However, they are more energy efficient than LCDs, and can be extremely thin."

Kinda like I reported during my shopping investigation last year.

DA

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 5:04PM
urlee

* Farbuncle (My Page) on Mon, May 21, 12 at 12:19
Why would anyone want to watch a tv in a brightly lit room?

I surely wouldn't but have to.
I have no other choice but to put the TV in the Living Room like 100% of the people do, which in my case, has windows on the South and East side.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 5:36PM
stoveguyy

Sugar seemed to disappear from thread? I think a big point is screen size? LCD is from 20-50" or so. No plasma under 37"? So if OP wants a 32" set, than they will have to get a LCD. They like LCD monitor for computer use. Probably 20-23" size? Buddy went from 42 plasma to 60 LCD and he was a little Leary about LCD at first but loves it now.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 6:24PM
urlee

Kinda like I reported during my shopping investigation last year.
DA

You mean THIS

Bookmark   May 22, 2012 at 7:19AM
urlee

Have you ever heard of the saying, "Gas Guzzler"?

I just happened to look at the specs for my Mitsubishi plasma big screen and seen it as 200 Watts! (Power Guzzler?)
WOWIE. Is that the same as having a 200 watt bulb on?
Would I see a difference in my electric bill if I purchased LCD/LED? (smiles)

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 9:34AM
bob414

200 Watts times 5 hours = 1 KW hour, 12 to 15 cents on your electric bill going by the rates in my area. Use it 5 hours for 30 days and it'll cost around $4.00.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 11:14AM
urlee

Thanks Bob for the info for me to check to see on my bill what it is.

Bookmark   May 23, 2012 at 1:08PM
mikie_gw

I have led laptop....... its way bright
Its set to... let me look
35% of max

My old fluorescent lcd laptop was usually set I think about 60% for the same eyes, probably about same level of lumens brightness.

New laptop.. 2.3 i3 intel dual core mobile ... fakes 4 cores? ... usually is using 11 watts while I'm sitting here doing webpages.
Old one, slower cycles, low watt dual core intel mobile processor, used 20 watts to do same thing.

Bookmark   May 24, 2012 at 1:34PM
More Discussions
Help with color on my images
I take pictures and on my camera they are a good color...
berk
A free pdf to jpg program that works well?
I want to tear some pdf's apart, and wondering if someone...
shaddy101
free downloader for youtube videos to use in powerpoint?
I used to be able to download videos for use in my...
jean001a
I-Pad Backup Help or Need?
I need advise on or need for backing up my wife's I-pad. Wife...
chas045
How to uninstall Avast From my laptop
I will be removing Avast from my laptop windows 7 computer...
thirdfrt
Sponsored Products
Avanity KNOX-VS39-ZW 39'' Zebra Wood Vanity Bundle
Blue Bath
XtremeAIR 30 Inch Wall Mount Stainless Steel Range Hood PX02-W30
eModern Decor
Salter 3003BDSSSVDR Aquatronic Kitchen Scale
Overstock.com
Breville Custom Loaf Bread Maker
$249.95 | FRONTGATE
Digital Meat Thermometer
$11.99 | zulily