Internal or external Wolf blower?

BAVEAugust 26, 2012

Hello all. We're currently debating installing an internal vs. external Wolf 1200 cfm blower for our all gas 48" Wolf range. On one hand (according to the dealer) we'd have to deal with a moderately loud blower (internal). Alternatively, we'd have to do a longer and more complicated pipe run to an area of the roof that can hold the external blower without being an eye sore. The internal would allow us to run the 10" aluminum vent pipe straight up out of a false chimney (25 ft pipe run. Any thoughts on the two options? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaseki

You have already clarified the two dominant factors. It all depends on your tolerance for noise versus your tolerance for an "eye sore." My tolerance for noise is less.

It is not necessary to mount a giant up-blast external blower (like restaurants use) on your roof; a centrifugal low blower of the type Broan, Wolf, Abbaka, etc. make is significantly less obtrusive.

Or, accept the long duct run as an opportunity to install an in-line sound suppressor to make the hood reasonably quiet.

For additional refinement, the fan curves of both internal and external blowers should be consulted for performance with different lengths of duct and bends. The roof fan can always be made larger to accommodate pressure losses, while the internal fan may not be so easily swapped.

Bigger on the roof provides another advantage; lower noise at lower speeds where the internal fan might be running on high for the same flow rate.

kas

Bookmark   August 27, 2012 at 10:06AM
More Discussions
Miele 643g dishwasher
I bought a house that has this dishwasher. I do not...
cbsdesign
Latest on Bluestar 30" RCS Gas Range Over Door Temp
Hi, First, thank you to all community members who have...
htwoozik
essentials you can't live without in your front load washing machine?
I am trying to purchase a new washing machine for our...
abick2
Sealed vs Open Gas Burners
What's the difference between sealed gas burners and...
cbarkston
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™