Purchased hex marble tiles for bathroom floor and spacing uneven

Heidi-DIYerSeptember 5, 2012

Hi everyone!

In a couple days I will be tiling our newly renovated bathroom. I special ordered 2" hex marble tiles for the floor and they are not adhered to the mesh backing straight - some tiles even touch each other.

Is this a common problem with mosaic like tiles? What to do - tear the really bad ones off and reattach to the mesh or rip them all off the mesh and use spacers? Not worth it, return the tile?

Advice highly appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mongoct

"Back in the day", the mesh wasn't that great. Then it got better. But I still find the occasional out of whack sheet, or box of sheets.

So "is it a common problem?" In some ways it's not as common as it used to be, but some import tiles seem to have horrific quality control.

If only a few are errant, I'll pull them and reset. If there are too many...then I return the entire order.

I had one situation where I had to pull every tile off the mesh backing and set them individually. Fortunately it wasn't a huge area to tile, it was a fireplace surround. 3/4" by 3" natural stone tiles.

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 2:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bill_vincent

If it's that bad, return the order and either reorder, or ask for your money back. I've also riun into this twice in the last 3 months-- once with glazed 1" hex, and once with 2" marble hex. THe marble was especially bad. I laid out about 12 sheets dry on the floor for the owner to see, and to me, it looked disgusting. She said it gave it the "hand laid" look-- install it!

What do I know??? :-)

Bookmark   September 5, 2012 at 3:33PM
More Discussions
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
amerec vs mr steam vs thermasol steam shower
Trying to choose a steam shower for a 4 x 5 shower...
panchoandlefty
wall mounted sink with hidden pipes?
Hi all, Would like a small-ish wall mounted sink, but...
randyelipson
tile layout help master bath
I am planning to use 18 x18 on the floor and same tile...
abick2
TIGHT Space for Mirrors (Between the Light Fixture and Backsplash) :(
We are coming into the home stretch. Although there...
Monrovia Mom
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™