Are you happy with your master bathroom tile decisions?

soonermomSeptember 1, 2011

We are gutting our 1980's master bathroom and will be using gray woodwork for the vanity area. The bathroom is 12' X 16'. If you were able to change your tile and/or grout are there any shoulda, coulda, or woulda suggestions or do you love your choices? I would love to see pictures too if you are willing to share them.

Currently we have faux white marble with beige veining and white grout. I must say the white grout comes in as the second biggest mistake of my life. (Okay, #1 was marrying my 1st husband :)! Hubby #2 is fantastic and we've been married 29 years!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tikatoo

Hi soonermom! We start our 1988 master bath remodel next week. We built the house and chose (at the time) a lovely dark blue tile on the counter top and the surround on the the monster sized whirlpool. Our bath is big but yours is huge! I can't wait to get rid of the blue tile (grout bad - never again) We too have white grout. As to woulda, shoulda, coulda, - I'm sticking with a more neutral pallet this time and the pics on this site have inspired me!! Not much help with your decisions as we are just starting -but lots of encouragement and sympathy. Will follow your reno!

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 8:07PM
Olychick

I'm not sure how many of these posts refer to tile/grout decisions, but you might find lots of good info and ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best bathroom decisions thread

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 8:27PM
nycbluedevil

We did botticino marble with mushroom grout. It is all really really neutral and calming. I posted some pics in June. The tile looks sort of pinkish in the pics but it is actually beige--not a hint of pink in it. We are very happy with it.

Bookmark   September 1, 2011 at 9:27PM
sas95

We did 2 full bathroom guts this year. Best decision was using high quality porcelain tiles for floor and shower areas. They look great, are almost impossible to damage and require no upkeep. In one of the baths we used white grout on the shower walls. I may end up being sorry about that, but the bathroom is not a heavily used one, so hopefully it will wear OK.

Another decision that made me happy was going with some color instead of doing totally neutral baths. One of our baths has sea green 12x12's on the floor, and to me it looks a little retro and a little new at the same time. In the other I did an accent wall of crackle green ceramics. I'm not one who subscribes to the "add a pop of color with your paint and towels" philosophy, and I went with what I was drawn to.

Bookmark   September 2, 2011 at 9:16AM
Jean Bo

I used 24x24 white tiles in the room with 0 grout line and love it. "less grout" no nooks and crannies to clean! Neutral timeless design love it. I will post photo's one day!

Bookmark   September 3, 2011 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Contractor messed up shower pan. Fixable?
My contractor who I'm firing tomorrow messed up my...
gwrussp
Does anyone have their light switch NOT by the BR door?
Our new bathroom will be 5' deep by 11' long. There...
southofsa
Finishing touches – Towel Ring location, need opinions
Hello. My bathroom is starting to come together and...
mrsshayne
Anyone seen Hydroban board for sale?
Can't seem to find it anywhere. Can't tell if that's...
cataan
Faux Carrera on floor and in shower, what countertop?
Love the look of all marble bathrooms but I don't have...
rpk1
Sponsored Products
42" Gyro Restoration Bronze Finish Ceiling Fan
Lamps Plus
Sample - Lancaster Deco Driftwood Ceramic Tile Sample
$2.99 | TileBar
Reed PL Flushmount by Leucos Lighting
$369.76 | Lumens
Chic Home Seville Embroidered Comforter Set Purple Queen - 28CQ101-HE
$124.99 | Hayneedle
Fabbian | Tile D95 E02 Ceiling Light
YLighting