concrete slab cure time

landngarageJuly 4, 2012

5" slab in the deep south, will have fiber and fairly standard footings.

How long should it cure before they start studding up the walls? I will be on site to tend to the slab for what ever it needs during this process.

End use is a garage but I'll keep my vehicles off it for as long as the concensus suggests. THANK YOU as always!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rollie

As long as they dont drive a construction lift on it, they can start framing within a few days.. (80% strength after 3 days air dry). I would worry more about scuffing the finished surface and wait a couple days, but the slab can handle framing loads the next day, assuming it is standard framing practices, and no concentrated load points..
28 days is considered fully cured..

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 9:16PM
landngarage

Thank you Rollie.....I do have three 8x8 posts that will be supporting a long beam (I prattle about this on other threads to no end)...I suppose those 8x8 posts (sitting on concrete footing pads) might qualify as "concentrated load points".... any guidence as to how long we should wait on placing those 8x8's?

Thanks again.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 10:44PM
rollie

realistically, by the time they get the forms stripped the next day an\d the control joints sawed in, youll be fine. Any longer wait than 24 hours to saw the control joints, and they become cosmetic, as the concrete has already decided where it wants to crack at.

Bookmark   July 4, 2012 at 11:21PM
renovator8

Concrete hardens and develops resistance to loads by a chemical reaction between portland cement and water called hydration which happens automatically.

Curing describes the many construction techniques that contractors use in order to maintain the appropriate concrete temperature and the amount of water needed for full hydration over a longer period of time.

Bookmark   July 5, 2012 at 10:46PM
PRO
Sophie Wheeler

A post and beam structure with many point loads will have a different foundation than a stick built structure with a slab and perimeter foundation that supports the stick built walls. It sounds as though your foundation is incorrectly designed for the type of structure that you intend to build. Your building department actually issued you a permit for this?

Bookmark   July 6, 2012 at 1:41PM
landngarage

There are only three posts....they will sit on large concrete footings. Should the footings be elsewhere? Perhaps outside the building, down by the toolshed?

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 9:27AM
loafer80

5" concrete slab on grade are only for uniform spread load at grade, ie vehicle load, work benches, storage etc. The maximum loading you can load the slab on grade depends on soil bearing and reinforcement placed inside the slab.
Framing cannot be placed on the 5" slab on grade. All load bearing framing structure must be on strip or pad footings. Perimeter wall framing can be built on strip footings or slab thickening of the slab on grade.
Post point loads must be on pad footings, and the size "large concrete footings" will not fly here. Pad footing must be sized correctly to avoid footing failure and soil bearing failure. The size depends on the load being supported and soil bearing at YOUR LOT.
Pad footings need to be where the post at designed to be at. You cannot just relocate them along with your post, and change the whole framing layout.

Bookmark   July 9, 2012 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
New Build Floorplan, timberframe house, input appreciated
So I’m yet another person looking for input on a floorplan....
am_e
New here. Please critique my house plan sketch, thanks
Hello. We are a family of 5 hoping to build a house...
angeliquereagan
homeowner's association
totally OT, but... would you, did you, or will you be...
energy_rater_la
Smart Homes Ideas
I am curious about the ideas that people are incorporating...
s_dipity
Floorplan review
Hi everyone. My husband and I are working on building...
sarahbr2
Sponsored Products
Bungalow Flooring Door Mats Boxwood Charcoal 24 in. x 36 in. Monogram E Door
$59.97 | Home Depot
Regina Indoor/Outdoor Rug 7'11" x 10' - CHARCOAL
$299.00 | Horchow
The Memory Company 15 in. NCAA License Florida Gators Neon Wall Clock COL FL 276
$74.97 | Home Depot
Coral Coast Layton Wicker Outdoor Fire Pit Chat Set - PSM187
$709.98 | Hayneedle
Lenox Republic Teacup - 111901050
$49.70 | Hayneedle
Cherie Indoor/Outdoor Rug 7'10" x 9'10" - SILVER GREY
$299.00 | Horchow
SLV Lighting | Soprana Solid PD-2 Pendant Light
$550.00 | YLighting
Tech Lighting | Otto Pendant
$280.80 | YLighting
People viewed this after searching for: