clear gasket necessary on frameless glass shower door?

nanjean68September 23, 2012

The frameless glass doors are in on my newly tiled shower. Why oh why is there a gasket 3 feet tall on the door itself? I understand it being at the bottom but I think it looks awful. I can't find any pictures in magazines of a clear gasket on a door. The contractor said it was to keep water from going out. Well, if he maybe measured correctly would we need that? Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
millworkman

Pretty much all of the time I have seen a hard L or similar on the panel if there is one. If not it would be on the door. Either way there is always a seal unless you want the water to splash out. So I would tend to believe that "Well, if he maybe measured correctly would we need that?", yes it in needed. And perhaps research should be done before making such a broad statement about him measuring incorrectly.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 5:34PM
srjohnt

We have a fremeless shower door, and it has clear gaskets. It was laser measured, and fits perfectly, but without a gasket, water would be all over the floor outside the door. It's necessary, in my opinion, and I don't even notice it. It's easy to peel off, however, so take yours off, and see if you can live with the leakage.....

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 5:45PM
sweeby

My husband measured perfectly and we DON'T have a clear gasket on the side. We do have one the bottom only. I'd say our 'gap' is between 1/8" and 3/16" -- so pretty tight.

In a typical 15 minute shower in my very small stall (so lots of potential for splashing), we leak about a teaspoon of water onto the bathmat -- so not a big problem.

Of course, bigger gap -> bigger problem.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 6:21PM
millworkman

Also depends where the shower head is aimed but the company I work for and all the local companies i know of use them. The largest shower door hardware supplier in the country sells them by the truckload as well as every door supplier I know of.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 7:28PM
nanjean68

Thank you for telling me like it is! I read about the "measurement" thing on another page. Obviously what we see in the magazines is not what we really need on our doors at home.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 8:59PM
pharaoh

Take it off and see what happens. If there is not water outside, leave it out.

Bookmark   September 23, 2012 at 11:21PM
More Discussions
Does anyone know where to sell a brand new vanity
looking to sell locally only and tried craigslist this...
matdrew
Family of 5 - only 1 1/2 bathrooms. What would you do?
We are an active family of 5 and our bathroom situtation...
rebeccamomof123
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
need bathroom drain advice
Need advice. I am putting in a built in shower 3ft...
checkman123
Small bathroom from scratch - layout help needed
http://www.homestyler.com/designprofile/b86dc96a-7c58-42f3-8ba3-408b7c9610f2...
peace_rose
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™