Garage Insulation

clagaJuly 25, 2012

Hi,

We have a year old home in Massachusetts.

The builder only insulated the firewall between the living area of the home and the garage and the ceiling of the garage.

He did not insulate the other three exterior walls of the garage.

The garage is very warm during the summer and cold during the winter, which I think are adding to my heating and air conditioning cost.

The walls ceiling have wall board on them and are skim coat plastered.

I was wondering if it was possible to insulate the un-insulated walls without removing the existing wall board?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
worthy

Unless you're using the garage as a workshop, there's little point in insulating it.

If you still want to go ahead, the most economical improvement would be to affix extruded polystyrene (XPS) or expanded polystyrene (EPS) boards to the wallboard; but you'll then have to add thermal protection on top of the foam boards.

If the room above your garage is uncomfortably cold in the winter and hot in the summer, the best remedy is to remove the drywall and existing insulation, then spray foam it and add drywall below.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 3:58PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lzerarc

you can drill holes in the walls between each stud bay and blow in insulation...but would need to know more information on your home to see if its worth the expense. Your wall between the unheated garage should be insulated and treated like one of your exterior walls. If it is, then your unheated garage should have little impact on your home's heating bills.

Bookmark   July 26, 2012 at 12:18AM
More Discussions
Is the 'remote' home office worth it?
We need an office for DH that is away from the day-to-day...
edwardshome
door heights
Hi, We have a mixture of 9' ceilings and cathedral...
muffn
help, is main gable too flat/not enough dimension?
last chance to change it. Will this front elevation...
msmith110705
Can I get a closet in/next to an 8'x8' ensuite bath?
I have 8'x8' inside the walls for a bath, and I'd like...
edwardshome
Frank Betz Kensington Park - opinions and any pictures please!
In the Air Force, thinking about building the Kensington...
dnasmith14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™