To console? Or not to console?

halgreeneAugust 14, 2014

Hi,

The DW I have now has no console and concealed controls. I always kinda hated it because:

1. If I wanna toss in an extra spoon I have to crack it open in mid-cycle, which always results in a little splash.

2. I never know when it will be finished.

I'm buying some Miele. I am going to install a custom panel, so I know that the concealed control model will look a little nicer but I'm still tempted to buy a full console (which apparently will also take a panel).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Hal

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrb627

I was in the same situation. I ended up getting the Miele with the exposed controls. My main concern was somebody getting burned by opening a machine during operation. They are so quiet you often cannot tell they are running at all.

MRB

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 2:47PM
hvtech42

I also got a Miele with front controls to replace my current DW with top controls. Like you I wanted to see cycle time. For the top control DW's the trick is to not open them fully after unlatching. Just give the handle a little tug, wait till you hear the splashing die down and then open. Good choice on the Miele you certainly can't go wrong with any of their offerings. However if you want the integrated look and time remaining indicator, there is a cool Bosch model out now (I think it's the 800+) that projects the time remaining onto the floor. Pretty neat.

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 5:09PM
plllog

I would have gotten the front controls if I'd found them on a DW that worked for me (Miele doesn't agree with my dishes). I compromised on storage a little to make my drawers all line up, and I have the matching trash pullout on the other side of the sink from the DW, but while I like the looks of my cabinets better than the metal fronts, I don't mind if things look like what they are and would have liked the controls on the front better. Mine has a kind of display on the top, so you can just see the clean light, and if you know exactly what's where, you can see what cycle it's on by bending, peering and squinting through the gap between the panel and the counter edge. On the front is far superior.

If your point was to fully integrate so that no one can tell the appliances from the pantry, you wouldn't have asked, so I say go for it!

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 7:08PM
More Discussions
Zephyr Hurricane vs Broan QP430SS
Hi everyone, I'm hoping to get some advice or stories...
brewcat
cooktop
Hi, I finally narrowed down to 3 different 30 inch...
wmc123
gas oven ignitor help
I recently picked up a great amana self clean gas oven,...
billhiggs
48 inch Bertazoni Dual Fuel or MIELE Range and Combi Oven Steamer
I am putting my options of getting the range. I have...
hkwan
Shark Hard Surface Steam CleanerSE3306C steam not coming out of nozzle
Hi, Our Shark Hard Surface Steam Cleaner is heating...
danadevy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™