osb at lowes/hd vs lumber company?

hoosierdocJuly 7, 2008

We have 3200 of attic square footage that I want to put flooring down. The builder has a price of $19 per 4x8 panel of OSB, and that includes delivery to the attic above the garage (plus tax).

HD has the panel for $12.38 each

Lowe's has it for $11.88 each

They will deliver it via fork truck to the site for $60. I'm picturing a home-made lift system to pulley the boards into the attic myself, and save $770. We're building an expensive home, but $800 is $800.

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to get 100 boards up 14' into an open attic (no ceiling in yet) with the least effort?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bdpeck-charlotte

$19 sounds like 3/4 inch T&G subfloor, while the $12 at the Big Boxes sounds like 1/2 inch OSB sheathing (from our lumber supply yard it's $23 for T&G and $6 for Sheathing). Make sure you've got Apples to Apples.

Rent a panel lift for a ladder, and get someone on the ground to load them on and shoot them up to you.

Bookmark   July 7, 2008 at 2:34PM
hoosierdoc

Lowes said it was "just smaller than" 3/4", it was some X/32 thing, and it was T&G used for flooring. I'll have to nail down the specifics again, but seemed very comparable. thanks for the lift idea!

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 8:55PM
amanda80

If you're willing to do a little legwork, you can save a good bit by going with Lowe's . Go to your local builder's supply and get them to to give you a printed out quote for the OSB. Then take it to Lowe's and have them price match it; they'll beat the other guys by 10%. I recently bought 7/16 OSB sheathing for $4.87 a sheet, which is 10% off of the lumber yard's price of $5.41.

Bookmark   July 8, 2008 at 10:21PM
hoosierdoc

We lifted it with the pulley system. Yay! Here's a video of it. (77Mb, so be patient)

Here is a link that might be useful: Using a pulley to pull up OSB

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 5:51PM
frog_hopper

I get page not found for the video.

Bookmark   July 26, 2008 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
exterior elevation feedback
Concerned about the eaves/overhangs, are they too "flared"...
msmith110705
Shook Hill Plan Modifications -- input please!
Hi -- We are just sitting down to the drawing board...
Emptynesteralmost
Dark hardwood vs lighter hardwood floors
I'm trying to decide which type of floors we should...
houserookie
Floorplan review please
I would love to get feedback on this floor plan. The...
boonieshome
Finished basement infloor heat in MN
We are working to trim back costs on our upcoming build....
Mini Soda
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™