Web pages are teeny, tiny - how to enlarge - what happened?

lynnalexandraMay 13, 2011

I'm working on my daughter's laptop - want to run antispyware, antivirus and generally update. When I go to Firefox (version 4.0 - windows 7), the top portion and tool bars look normal. But when I try to go to a webpage - here, gmail, etc - the page is tiny - taking up about 1/5 or the width -and so small I can't read it.

I don't know if I hit a button by accident and minimized it. But I don't know what buttons do what. Any ideas how to restore size? I looked at Firefox tools - and the font size under options was already set at 16.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

using the cursor run it to the edge of the page till it turns into the double sided arrows grab and pull the screen out to full size you can do this from any edge and the corners. Once you have it back to your preferred size, go up to file then hit close do not close it using the x. then restart firefox and it should retain your last set screen size.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 1:11PM
lynnalexandra

I'm not having any luck doing that. I have the arrow - and using the touchpad I bring it to the edge - but nothing happens. No double sided arrow appears. I'm trying to drag to the edge of the mini web page - as well as the full computer screen. Neither does anything.

I do not see a cursor in the form of small flashing underline. Except if I click on the screenname field of gmail - but I can't get it to move to the edge of the page.

Lynn.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 2:19PM
lynnalexandra

I think all the pages were tiny before - but I could be wrong. Now I noticed that only gmail tab - or google search is tiny. Amazon, youtube, etc are full sized.

????
Lynn.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 2:23PM
    Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 4:20PM
lynnalexandra

Thanks Raven. I don't think this is a windows resizing issue (although that could be a troubling feature worth turning off as well). The last article you linked had this in it - which might be what I"m experiencing:

"But I have another problem, how do you turn off the blue grids when it comes to internet explorer/firefox? It snaps into small grids when i move them to the edge!"

But that was one of the last posts - and nobody addressed a solution. It's not the window shrinking in half. It's an open tab/web page - shrinking to maybe 1/6 of the page or less - and it might be as though it was being shrunk into a rectangle in a grid.

Interesting to read how many annoying features people have discovered in Windows 7 - that are set by default. I'm still on XP - so I won't know this stuff if my daughter runs into trouble.

Thanks.
Lynn.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 5:16PM
mikie_gw

It sounds to me like its zoomed to 25% or something of normal size = small. Zoom it back to 100%... Control key + Scroll Wheel. Or Ctrl plus the addition sign. Firefox probably has a zoom setting in it too.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 9:42PM
lynnalexandra

Hi, Mikie. I'll try that in the morning - the laptop is shut down for the night. It may have zoomed down - although I'm not sure how I did it. There's just a touchpad - no scrollwheel - so I'll try Control plus the addition sign. I'm pretty sure I once stumbled on a zoom setting in firefox - but I can't find it now.

Lynn.

Bookmark   May 13, 2011 at 10:16PM
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

view > zoom in fire fox or control++ and control+-

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 1:46AM
lotodig

I use FireFox add on "NoSquint 2.1". It's easy to use, just a simple + or - icon on your toolbar. The thing I most like about this addon is that after you set the page size it automatically resets that page to your setting the next time you visit that page. I find that I use this a lot.

Not sure this is part of your problem but thought I would mention it.

Bookmark   May 14, 2011 at 1:32PM
More Discussions
Helping a elderly friend with their computer remotely
She is in her 90's, lives alone and needs help with...
jane__ny
Google Stylish add-on help
I have Google Stylish add-on but don't know how to...
Cricketm
My computer just got infected - what to do ASAP
I clicked on a website that I was familiar with but...
debo_2006
Lenovo Preinstalls Malware on Laptops
On the Yahoo News Tech page today, February 19, 2015,...
haldd
Change color of blinking cursor
When I am editing something I have just written and...
mudlady_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™