Glass Shower Doors with Muntins?

mtnrdredux_gwSeptember 18, 2013

We are putting in a new captive MBR in a summer home, and DH wants a glass walled shower. It is a 1906 home and, while I know some people feel that glass showers disappear, I feel that they read modern. This would be in a corner and glass on two sides.

So I had this idea of creating glass shower doors that look like the existing 6 over 1 windows in the room. The windows are replacement windows put in the whole house by the PO. Alas, they are the kind with vinyl muntins. I never would have chosen them, but given that the house is oceanfront, it is probably the wise thing to do.

I was wondering ... maybe I could just get the grilles from the window mfr, and size my shower accordingly, and epoxy the grill on the outside? But then it would look awful from inside.

Any other ideas? These photos and link are something like my idea, although I don't plan to use salvage.

Here is a link that might be useful: muntins on shwr doors

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jrueter

I recently came across this manufacturer that can custom make all sorts of shower enclosures - including what you are describing - American Shower Door

I am planning on doing something very similar to what you have posted, but with a walk in shower, no tub. I already have the salvaged door!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Shower Door

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 12:54PM
mtnrdredux_gw

Thank you so much! Mine is a walk in shower, too. Ionly posted the pic as an idea, since all the link are black steel muntins.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 4:23PM
allison0704

I've seen a vintage exterior french door used as a shower wall. They had a shower curtain (gathered) inside. All I could think about was how moldy the curtain would get.

You don't want to use a metal window?

Bookmark   September 19, 2013 at 1:12PM
More Discussions
Ammara Designs Faucets
I've gotten so much information from these forums....
janelor
Finished Conestoga cabs bathroom
This wasn't our usual full DIY, we paid for the tile...
justterrilynn
Bathtubs for taller people
I am renovating a family bathroom and would like to...
twingle
Bath fan dilemma
Looking for other options for bath fan/heater/light/nightlight....
gramarows
HELP! 6 x 24 tiles are bowing
My tile guy was here today to install 6 x 24 porcelain...
cloub
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™