Cooktop Installation Tradeoffs

TrebruchetAugust 21, 2014

(As posted in Kitchens)

One of the burners is out on this cooktop. The owner has purchased the replacement model, but itâÂÂs 5/8â deeper that this one, touches the built-in oven below, making the bottom of the flange 5/8â higher than the deck. The LoweâÂÂs installer suggested fabricating a stone perimeter strip to fill the gap. IâÂÂm going to lower the base cabinet holding the oven. Note the shiny vinyl baseboard. ItâÂÂs stuck in place and will have to be cut to allow the cabinet removal. Those cuts will have to be covered.

The feet have run out of adjustment, meaning the female and male screw ends will have to be shortened to get the cabinet low enough.

An important part of this job is making sure what youâÂÂre doing complies with the manufacturerâÂÂs installation instructions. This tag is on the oven and there is a similar tag on the new cooktop. Looks like weâÂÂve got compatibility, although I donâÂÂt think the new cooktop model had been created when the oven stamp was placed.

The new cooktop is properly installed. The full-length cabinet base is now wood painted to match the vinyl.

HereâÂÂs the tradeoff. Instead of having a stone perimeter around the new cooktop as suggested by LoweâÂÂs, there is a piece of molding on top of the base cabinet front continuing the line between the drawers. The customers are delighted.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hvtech42

I wonder why the owner did not just replace the burner. Would have been much cheaper and easier. People complain about stuff isn't "made to last" anymore but a lot of the time that's because they don't give it a chance to!

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 4:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Trebruchet

hytech42:

This repair was part of the condo purchase. The replacement cooktop was negotiated. I suppose if they'd owned it and the burner went out, your suggestion might make more sense.

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 10:12PM
More Discussions
New Bluestar RCS model - Any Info? (RCS366BV2)
Most of the 36" RCS models are RCS36IRV1 right...
kwest2
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
Help installing power cord to 48inch dual wolf range
I'm trying to install the power cord, not sure how...
rubyrashel
Difference between advantium and convection microwave
I had almost decided on the ge advantium (monogram)...
athensmomof3
Blue star electric wall oven w/ French doors
I ordered my wall oven and 30" RNB range 8 weeks...
Debbi Branka
Sponsored Products
Cooktop Cleaner 2-pack
$25.50 | FRONTGATE
Total Chef TCIS11BNG Induction Cooktop Single Burner
Overstock.com
Nesco PIC-14 Portable 1500-Watt Induction Cooktop
Overstock.com
All-Clad d5 Brushed Stainless Steel 7-piece Cookware Set
$699.95 | FRONTGATE
All-Clad d5 Brushed Stainless Steel 14-piece Cookware Set
FRONTGATE