Where is my mail?

gmom74May 4, 2014

I am still using XP but not for long and have Outlook Express. When I compacted the last time all the mail in the inbox disappeared. Not the inbox- just all the mail that was in it. The inbox shown in the recycle bin shows it has 221 MB in it. Would this be the mail that disappeared? My question is, what happens if I highlight that inbox and click 'restore'? Will the mail reappear in the inbox? I'm afraid to try without some opinions.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azinoh

What do you have to lose if you don't do the restore? The answer is ALL OF YOUR MAIL. What bad thing could happen if you do the restore? Nothing I can think of. It sounds as if somehow you accidentally deleted your mail instead of compacting the inbox.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 10:06AM
emma

Do the restore from the recycle, it can't hurt any thing. If it is something else you can delete it again. Do you put your individual email in folders?

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 12:21PM
gmom74

Thank you for your answers. I tried system restore and also tried restoring the inbox in the recycle bin. Neither has worked. At this time there are only 7 messages in my inbox but now when I close OE there's the message asking do I want to compact the mail. Does this mean all the messages have been restored to another area in the computer? Emma. all my folders are fine. But there were things I hadn't saved yet that are lost.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 2:56PM
emma

Gmom, when I order something from Amazon I leave the messages in the inbox until I get my order. Maybe I won't do that anymore. I use Windows Live Mail and route my server's email to my computer.

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 4:16PM
DA_Mccoy

A couple of shots in the dark here.

You could try a system search for .eml in an attempt to locate them.

The free application Recuva may help. Its file wizard will present the option to search for e-mails.

Recuva comes from the same company as CCleaner and Defraggler.

DA

This post was edited by damccoy on Sun, May 4, 14 at 20:56

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 4:59PM
anne_ct

All saved email in all versions of XP is stored in a .dbx file. If you can find that file within the Outlook/Outlook Express program folder, you may be able to restore your compacted email. I was successful in doing so when I still worked with an XP system. If you can't locate that file, chances are your email has left the premises....or is buried so deep that it will take one of the programs DA is suggesting to rout it out.

HTH

Anne

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 8:31PM
DA_Mccoy

Thanks Ann now I can sleep. Do you think I could remember the dbx? I knew it existed, but the name must have been in one of the brain cells I killed last night. I just couldn't pull it up.

DA

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 9:00PM
anne_ct

LOL Betcha I have a greater collection of dead brain cells than you do. LOL I've been collecting them for a l-o-n-g time.

Always a pleasure to be of assistance. ;-)

Nighty-night.

Anne

Bookmark   May 4, 2014 at 9:21PM
gmom74

Well, with many thanks to you all I used .dbx and found many old emails. Even some things from 1998 that evidently we transferred to this XP when we bought it in 2004. There's a lot of reading and memories in that file. Thank you again.
Gmom

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 10:58AM
More Discussions
What's with this new Houzz thing?
Been away a couple days, and came back to this, what...
shaddy101
need help again regarding free office program
I asked for help in this area recently and never was...
Lea Grabb
Why won't iTunes let me sync audiobooks?
I have many audiobooks in iTunes and in my iPod. I...
caroline94535
Hmmmm...can't "scroll" thru sites anymore on laptop?!?!!?
WTH?!?! My Del Inspiron laptop has decided that it...
Faron79
Lenovo's "malware" not just Lenovo's.
It's been found in a dozen or so apps, some pre-installed,...
lazy_gardens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™