My Sharp Microwave is dying...

compumomAugust 5, 2010

I remodeled in 2002-2003 and we installed a Sharp microwave (Model #530ES) with a trim kit. It doesn't see too much use, we've been empty nesters for about 7 years and it mostly cooks bacon and warms things. The LED readout began to fail back in November, but nothing else was amiss. I happened to have had a repair guy here for my cooktop and showed him the readout with the missing light (diode?). It was still read-able, just a with a bit more difficulty. He said to hold tight until I needed more repairs as this circuit board would be costly.

Fast forward to this past week. Tried to nuke a muffin top in an opened cello bag as directed for 15 seconds. After about 5 seconds there was a stuttering sound and the light was zappy. I stopped the oven, removed the cello and continued for 5 more seconds with no problem.

Next day I attempted to nuke something else with a bar code-- maybe a jar? Same problem, but this time I didn't restart the oven. Yesterday I attempted to nuke a raw food. Same zappy noise and lights-- like the power was arc'ing.

Obviously I have to have it repaired or toss & buy an new one. Any suggestions? I'm into that darn trim kit by almost $200 and it completes the integrated kitchen wall of cabinetry.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deeageaux

Is it R-530ES model ?

If so I would just buy a new micro of the same type.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharp R-530ES $278 delivered

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 2:12PM
weissman

I'd suggest you just buy a new one - probably just as cheap as to repair and you'll have a brand new one. I'm in a similar situation to you - GE MW with trim kit but mine is 8 years old and going strong - if/when it fails my plan is to just replace it with a new one - fortunately they still make one the same size (although an upgraded model).

Bookmark   August 5, 2010 at 3:35PM
compumom

Thanks, I'm following up with the Amazon lead. It should be the same size, right? I was waiting to undo the trim kit until the new one arrives. Better get DH to find his screwdriver!

Bookmark   August 7, 2010 at 12:56AM
More Discussions
Buy 2 individual wall ovens or one 2 oven wall unit?
Hi - I'm looking for appliances for a house we will...
oaptechgirl
Any thoughts about Bosch and GE Profile appliances?
I am building a passive house and trying to choose...
di77ce
ELECTROLUX ICON FREESTANDING DUAL-FUEL RANGE or KITCHEN AID
I am about to purchase a dual –fuel, 30 “freestanding...
AreBe
DCS double wall oven--reviews?
I'm in the market for a double wall oven and saw a...
anna_chosak
Miele Coffee Machine - CVA 6800 vs CVA 6401
The cva 6800 is m touch controls (swipe screen), CVA6401...
wcutiew
Sponsored Products
Burlap Shower Curtain with Bullion Fringe
Ballard Designs
Ridged Satin Rectangle 4 1/2" Wide LED Outdoor Step Light
Lamps Plus
My Journey Home V Wall Art
$269.00 | FRONTGATE
Hansgrohe - Metris 200 Single Hole Faucet - 31183001 - Chrome
$159.50 | PlumbTile
Allegra Oil-Rubbed Bronze 22" High Outdoor Wall Light
Euro Style Lighting