Brain tumor, Stroke or Parkinson's

caflowerluverFebruary 23, 2012

That is my choice of what is wrong with me. My right hand started shaking right after Christmas. I thought it was just fatigue from all I did around the holidays or my carpal tunnel acting up. I waited for about a month to go see my general doctor, than had to wait another month to see a doctor in Neurology.

I am suppose to schedule a brain MRI scan in the next couple of days. Hope it is covered by our insurance. The neurologist did a bunch of coordination and muscle/nerve tests and came to the conclusion that it wasn't a problem with the nerve but with the signal being sent by the brain to the nerve. So the MRI is to rule out tumors, previous stroke or any thing that can be physically seen that could be causing it.

If the test comes back clean and doesn't show anything wrong then it is Parkinson's. There is no conclusive test for that but as it gets worse I will be on medication and maybe therapy.

Bummer.

Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: Parkinson's disease

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
momj47

Wow.

It could be essential tremor. Katherine Hepburn had it.

Good luck.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 5:12PM
caflowerluver

momj47 - Thanks for the link. The doctor talked about that and ruled it out because mine occurs when resting and stops when I use the hand. Just have to go get MRI done and see what it says. Thanks for the well wishes.
Clare

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 5:18PM
lindac

Oh Damn.....that stinks. Hoping it's just a stroke or essential tremor. Keep us posted!!
I have 2 friends who have essential tremor.....a glass of wine and it goes away like magic!!
Hoping that's what it is....and not parkingson's disease or a tumor!
Linda C

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 5:24PM
dedtired

Wow. What a choice. I wouldn't know which one to hope it is. I mean a brain tumor could be non-malignant and could be removed, although that doesn't sound like much fun. Parkinson's could develop very slowly and could be something you can manage. A stroke can be a small nuisance or a huge disability.

I wish you luck and the best possible diagnosis. I'm so sorry you are going through this. Hugs to you.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 5:39PM
caflowerluver

Lindac, dedtired - Talk about a choice between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea. Thanks for the best wishes.

Clare

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 5:52PM
dlynn2

I'm wishing the best for you and hoping it is something minor that can be easily cured. Just a quick correction to an above post, though --- not all benign brain tumors can be removed. Some are inoperable due to their dangerous locations in the brain.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 6:18PM
wizardnm

Clare, my prayers and thoughts are with you. Let's hope for good news.

Nancy

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 6:32PM
triciae

Clare, I am so sorry. None of those choices sound good nor easy to hear. The process of getting to a diagnosis can be traumatizing and also difficult. Hopefully, the wait for the MRI and its results will be short. I do think though that your major medical insurance should pay for the test.

You will be in my prayers. Please keep us posted.

/tricia

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 6:45PM
caliloo

I am so sorry to hear this news too....

You will be in my prayers!

Alexa

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 6:51PM
cloudy_christine

I'm sorry, Clare. I hope the MRI can at least give you answers.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 7:25PM
caflowerluver

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and prayers. I will take all the positive vibes I can get. They are booked up till Friday March 2nd, 3:15PM (Pacific) for the MRI. I will try to put it out of my mind and concentrate on other things. Not an easy thing to do.
Clare

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 8:06PM
ann_t

Clare, Like others have said, none of the choices are great. Sending well wishes your way.

Ann

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 8:20PM
sushipup1

Clare, that's a week away. You know that we'll all be there with you in spirit. Not great options, I know.

Any chance that you can get out for lunch some day before or after? I'm not far away. I'm thinking that there are lots of good places like Cafe Sparrow or even Tony & Alba's pizza in Capitola.

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 8:32PM
annie1992

Oh dear, Clare, I'm also sending all the strong thoughts, good wishes and prayers I can muster your way.

Whatever it is, I'm hoping they can resolve it quickly and with no residual effect. Hang in there, we're all with you in spirit.

Annie

Bookmark   February 23, 2012 at 8:45PM
KatieC

I'm sorry, Clare. That time between tests and course of action is the pits. Everything takes so long. Trust me when I say it becomes easier (for lack of a better word) when you know what you're dealing with.

Hoping for the best...

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 12:31AM
centralcacyclist

Sending positive thoughts for the lesser of all evils. I have a friend with essential tremor. It was misdiagnosed as Parkinson's for a while. Mild meds seem to take care of it.

Eileen

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 12:43AM
caflowerluver

Again, a big thank you for all the good wishes. I believe in the power of positive thinking, so I am not going to let this get me down.

It will be better when I have more information to go on. Who knows, the doctor could be wrong. They have been known to make mistakes. I just wish I could get it all over sooner.

sushipup - I didn't know you were close by. I'll send you an email about lunch. Funny story, Tony & Alba use to be my neighbor. Really great people.

Good night everyone or at least I hope it will be.
Clare

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 12:57AM
compumom

Drat, sending positive thoughts to you and hoping for the best possible outcome! The CF is with you!

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 1:57AM
jojoco

Add my name to the growing list of people holding you in our thoughts.

Some quote about the devil you know is better than the one you don't, comes to mind. I won't tell you to try to relax, but I will suggest you lean on us here. We're pretty strong folks.

jo

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 6:47AM
emagineer

Clare, there is also Dystonia which can affect a specific area. It does not show up on an MRI and a good movement disorder neurologist would diagnose this. Too many symptoms to write and your doctor should be the one to identify any of this. Think positive, more people have these and few know others with movement disorders because they can be managed so well they are unseen.

Hang in there, much is being done for many movement symptoms and can be controlled. Wishing you a clean MRI to eliminate the other concerns.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 7:27AM
sally2_gw

Something told me to check conversations first this morning. I'm glad I did. I'm NOT glad about what's happening to you, Clare. I'm crossing my fingers it's something that can be fixed or treated. I'll be thinking of you.

Sally

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 9:25AM
rob333

(((Claire))) I do not have the words. I am keeping you lifted up and held close. Prayers coming your way!

-Rob

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 9:47AM
publickman

I believe in positive thoughts too and am sending them your way. That's one thing I'm sure I inherited from my father, who now has Parkinson's but has not given up his positive attitude.

I'm anxious to hear what the diagnosis will be after the tests. I hope you get to have lunch with Sushipup - I was thinking that she was close to you and might be available for visiting.

Lars

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 2:50PM
nancylouise_gw

Wow! What a choice. So sorry to hear what is happening to you. Sending good thoughts and prayers your way. NancyLouise

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 2:53PM
kathleenca

Clare, I'm joining all your other CF friends to send you warm and caring wishes. We are looking for the best for you.

Kathleen

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 6:42PM
dcarch7

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate situation.

Just a thought:

Cyfluthrin, a pesticide used by vineyards, can cause condition such as yours.

Check out your next door neighbor.

dcarch

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 7:33PM
coconut_nj

Clare, I'm so sorry you have to deal with this, especially waiting to figure out just what is going on. As you said, best to just put it aside as much as you can until the answers arrive. How about cooking something out of your comfort zone. I remember your husband has not always been that fond of new foods, but seems as though he's gotten a lot better the past few years. I guess cooking always comes to my mind when I want to stop thinking about something. Crepes...you have to concentrate quite a bit while making them...lol.. Will be sending all the good thoughts and strength I can.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 7:44PM
caflowerluver

Thanks everyone for all the good wishes, thoughts and prayers. All that positive energy should help. I am keeping busy so I don't think about it. Today was another beautiful warm (70's) sunny day in CA so worked outside. I find gardening always helps calm my mind.

sushipup - Please email me about lunch. Click on my forum name and send me one. I can't email you.

Thanks.
Clare

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 7:44PM
jessyf

Clare, sending hugs and best wishes.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 7:51PM
lsr2002

Clare, I'm so sorry to read this. You are in my thoughts and prayers. I'll send you every possible good thought and a lot of positive energy.

I hope you will be able to have lunch with Sushi - I had a great time with her and Eileen when we met for lunch - and nice things to fill the time this coming week would certainly be good.

Please keep checking back in.

Lee, sending hugs and good wishes also.

Bookmark   February 24, 2012 at 9:01PM
Gina_W

I'm sending you positive energy Clare. And a big hug.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 6:47PM
caflowerluver

Thanks again everyone. I will let you know how the story ends.
Clare

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 12:43AM
sooz

Clare, I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and sending LOADS of positive vibes your way from my little corner of Southern California!!!!
Smiles,
Sooz

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 3:06AM
Rusty

Clare, I'm sorry you have this hanging over your head.
Time goes by so slowly
when you are waiting for something like this.

I am a very firm believer in positive thinking,
And believe even stronger in
the power of prayer.

You will definitely be in my prayers!

Rusty

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 12:18PM
sushipup1

Clare, I emailed you with a different address. Did you get it?

Helene

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 1:03PM
caflowerluver

Helene - No I haven't received it yet. Maybe it is lost in cyber space. LOL

dcarch - Supposedly the vineyard is organic because the grapes are sold to an organic winery. Who really knows if that is true! What the previous owners did before the current owners 7+ years ago I will never know because they are deceased.

Thanks for all the continued well wishes. I am keeping busy so I don't dwell on it. I hate waiting though.
Clare

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 6:50PM
sushipup1

Clare, maybe check your spam filter? Send your address to Barnmom and she can send it to me.

Yes, keep busy! Is anyone going with you on Friday?

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 7:31PM
trixietx

Praying for you!

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 8:19PM
Teresa_MN

Clare - so sorry to hear your news. Prayers and good thoughts coming your way from Minnesota.

Teresa

Bookmark   February 27, 2012 at 9:10PM
caflowerluver

Helene - No I didn't get the message. I checked my SPAM folder and nothing is there. Maybe my anti-virus software is blocking it for some reason. Try sending a message to my alternate email, sefy2001@yahoo.com. I am going alone to the lab. I figure it is just a MRI so don't need anyone. If there are developments, I will call DH.

Thanks again for the positive thoughts and prayers everyone.
Clare

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 1:41PM
dgkritch

I'm so sorry to hear you're having to go through this.
Sending prayers for the best possible diagnosis.

Deanna

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 4:41PM
Bizzo

Thinking of you today, and keeping you in my prayers!

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 3:08PM
caflowerluver

Thanks everyone. Doing some baking today. I do that when I am nervous. Made some corn bread muffins to have with the fried chicken tonight. Still haven't decided on dessert. Maybe chocolate pudding. Having all my favorites.
Clare

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 6:00PM
lindac

Will be thinking about you tomorrow......

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 6:08PM
sushipup1

Yes, keep cooking! That's good to keep you busy! Let me know if I can help.

Helene

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 6:56PM
triciae

Thoughts are with you, Clare.

/tricia

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 7:09PM
lsr2002

Your dinner sounds great, it's nice that you are having your favorites. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers also.

Lee

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 9:45PM
annie1992

I'll be sending good thoughts and keeping you in my prayers tomorrow, Clare.

Annie

Bookmark   March 1, 2012 at 10:12PM
rob333

Still sending my best warmest thoughts Clare!

-Rob

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:33AM
cloudy_christine

Thinking about you today...

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 10:50AM
dgkritch

Just checking in to see if you got any results.

Deanna

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 12:02PM
dlynn2

I'll be thinking good, positive thoughts for you today. I hope you can use your time during the MRI to relax and take a nap ---- that's what I always do.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 12:02PM
centralcacyclist

Sending healthy, happy outcome thoughts.

Eileen

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 12:22PM
caflowerluver

Thanks everyone!!! Still have 5 hours of waiting before I have the test. Keeping busy doing housework. The house have never looked better. LOL
Clare

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 1:30PM
lsr2002

More good thoughts coming your way.

Lee

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 5:09PM
wizardnm

Thinking about you Clare...got my fingers crossed too!

Nancy

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 5:43PM
Gina_W

Checking in. Thinking of you.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 6:47PM
jessyf

....updates?

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 7:32PM
tami_ohio

I just saw this, so the MRI should either be over with or soon will be. You are in my prayers.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 7:34PM
caflowerluver

Just got back a little after 5PM. I got there at 2:45PM, the appt. was at 3:15PM. Didn't know what the traffic would be like so left home at 2:30PM. I don't know why they wanted me 15 minutes early. I didn't have any paperwork to fill out and I was already checked in. It must have happened when I went in for the eye xrays for metal. (I work with metal so you have to get an xray to make sure you have none inbedded in your eyeballs.)

So I waited till 3:45 before they called me in. Then the person who was suppose to be done had to redo it because she kept moving and coughing. So had to wait another 1/2 hour in the little MRI waiting room. The test itself took 1/2 hour and I was was the perfect patient. Didn't even bat an eyelash. It was a 1/2 hour of extremely loud clicks, knocks, buzzes, bangs, clangs. I was given earplugs and headphones to muffle the noise, but it was still very loud. Reminded me of some tecno industrial rock music I have heard.

The doctor won't get the test results till late Monday or Tuesday. They said if there was something unusual the radiologist would have check it and called my doctor and I would have been checked in at the hospital. So I guess it is good news, since I at home typing this.
Clare

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 8:29PM
lpinkmountain

Been thinking about you all day Clare. Sending healing thoughts your way!
Lpink

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 9:04PM
dedtired

Sounds very hopeful. I hope you get good news. I bet if anything awful showed up on the MRI you would have heard right away.

(metal in your eyeballs? Yuck!)

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 9:42PM
momj47

Good, enjoy the weekend.

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 11:02PM
annie1992

I agree, it's time to enjoy the weekend. At least you know it's not a dire emergency right now, or they'd have called you.

I'll still be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Annie

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 11:14PM
lsr2002

I'm glad to hear it's not a critical situation today. Yes, have a good weekend and keep us posted.

Lee

Bookmark   March 2, 2012 at 11:53PM
centralcacyclist

Big exhale.

Have a lovely weekend.

Eileen

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 12:04AM
sushipup1

Take time to have a great weekend and enjoy the nice weather. Lunch next week?

Helene

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 12:15AM
sally2_gw

I'm glad the test is over with and you can enjoy the weekend. I still have my fingers crossed for you.

Sally

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 8:36AM
petaloid

So happy you got to go back home. Keeping my fingers crossed and sending you best wishes for good health.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 11:35AM
caflowerluver

Thanks again everyone. I am amazed by all this support. I really do appreciate it. Going to enjoy a sunny weekend outside in my garden since it is suppose to be in the 60's.
Best to all of you too.
Clare

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 2:39PM
doucanoe

Clare, so glad the MRI is behind you and there is no apparent issue.

I'll be keeping you in my thoughts as you await the results. Chin up...it's gonna be fine.

Linda

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 9:01PM
goldgirl

Thinking of you and keeping my fingers crossed.

Sue

Bookmark   March 4, 2012 at 9:12PM
tami_ohio

Keeping you in my thoughts!

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 8:20PM
annie1992

I came hoping for some news, I'll keep checking and hoping.

Annie

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 9:47PM
compumom

Me too!

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 11:43PM
lsr2002

I'm keeping you in my thoughts also.

Lee

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 12:02AM
lindac

Waiting for results is the worst part......
Looking for good news.
Linda C

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 12:34AM
caflowerluver

If I don't hear from the doctor by Wednesday, I am going to call. I hate waiting too.
Thanks everyone for sending good thoughts.
Clare

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 1:10AM
nancylouise_gw

Just checking in to see how everything is going. Still sending good thoughts and prayers out to you. NancyLouise

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 7:46AM
annie1992

I'm just checking in too. I'd definitely be calling the doctoo, if it was me that was waiting!

Annie

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 1:14PM
annie1992

Sorry for the typo, that would be "calling the Doc, too".

Annie

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 6:15PM
caflowerluver

I called and at least got them to move the appt. from the 26th to the 14th. I guess if you not dying, then there is no big rush. I know I should be relieved, but I just want to know what is going on. I got the results in an email and it was not normal, but the explanation was medical gibberish to me. I did lots of web searches but it more confusing than helpful. I need the doctor to explain it. I want to move on with my life and not have this hanging over my head.
Clare

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 6:57PM
sally2_gw

How frustrating for you. I'll keep thinking of you. It does seem like it's not life threatening, or they'd be hustling you in faster, I think. I'll keep thinking of you and checking in on the thread.

Sally

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 8:11PM
More Discussions
I'm a corned beef virgin
I was at Sam's club today and they had nice looking...
Holly- Kay
Canning tomato juice worth it?
Hi All - I'm thinking about canning tomato juice this...
jennieboyer
25th Birthday Review
Hi everyone, My 25th birthday was a very special one,...
moonwolf_gw
What can I make to go with..
Dh has a potluck on Friday. I am making red lentil...
tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
Silicone VS Metal
Good afternoon...I have been asked to make the cake...
jsvrn
Sponsored Products
nuLOOM Alexa Eco Natural Fiber Braided Reversible Jute Rug (8' x 10' Oval)
Overstock.com
Puzzlehead by Areaware
$40.00 | Lumens
Knowledge in the Brain Bookends - Black/Gold - Menu A/S
$199.95 | HORNE
Womb Style Chair & Ottoman
IFN Modern
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: LA Rugs Fun Time Table of Elements Multi
Home Depot
Cattelan Italia | Sylvester Chaise
YLiving.com
People viewed this after searching for: