Freestanding v. Slide-in range - any difference in performance

chitownkatAugust 16, 2013

Hi folks,
I have found so much invaluable info on these boards and have a question that I know may be hard to answer.
I am settled on a 30 inch gas double oven range and am deciding between freestanding and slide-in.
The slide in definitely has a nice clean look; however, my kitchen would basically look fine with either type.

Has anyone else researched these two types from a performance standpoint? Or gone from a freestanding and noticed a measurable performance improvement in their new slide-in? or are the components basically the same.

So, my question is: is style the only difference between these two types? I am trying to keep an eye on costs and can't really see paying an extra $1,000 or so simply for my range not to have a back on it.

Would truly appreciate any input - and if you have a certain model of either type that you have purchased and that you love, that would be great also.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weissman

As you've noticed, the basic difference is that slide-in ranges cost more and generally have fewer models available with fewer features. The other difference is that many free standing ranges have the backsplash that you mention although free-standing pro-style ranges do not.

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 4:01PM
shannonplus2

The most noticeable difference is that a freestanding range uses up some of the cooktop surface with its backpanel. Quite a few inches actually. A slide-in range uses the full 24" depth of the cooktop. I'll attach a thread where a poster discusses this issue and has a picture of her crowded pans due to the back panel. There's a link in that thread that's very illustrative too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about 30 inch Range

Bookmark   August 16, 2013 at 8:33PM
chitownkat

shannonplus2, Thanks so much for linking the thread! Will check it out

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 1:49PM
More Discussions
Refrigerator Water Valve Leaking
Any idea why the blue cap (see red arrow) on the water...
tslats2
Help with induction please
I am planning to buy induction when we reno the kitchen....
sherri1058
Wolf porcelain chipping on new ovens
Argggggg!!!! New wolf E series ovens, purchased and...
jackson2348
Gaggenau or Miele combi steam oven?
We are renovating our kitchen and are planning on a...
Treblemaker
36" Rangetop & Wall Ovens vs. 48" Range
Our current kitchen plans call for a 36" rangetop...
greasetrap
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™