Using IKEA like a hardware store...

carsonheimJuly 27, 2014

I recently came across an old thread about getting a high quality kitchen using IKEA for bits and pieces (thread link below).

That got me thinking, I'm not much of an IKEA-hacker (or DIYer of any sort, really), but there may be some good components that one could use for certain aspects of their new home.

For instance for my closet I've purchased a couple of the komplement pull out pants hangers to have the custom cabinet builder install. They are waaaay cheaper than similar products elsewhere. There may also be rev-a-shelf substitutes using IKEA parts. I've even considered purchasing their drawers and putting them throughout the house instead of custom-building. They already come with the excellent Blum hardware and soft-close system as well, so it could work out nicely.

Anyone else have ideas of how to use IKEA for bits and pieces? Would love to hear your thoughts!

Here is a link that might be useful: High quality kitchen using IKEA

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kathy Harrington

Thanks for bringing this up. When we lived overseas, we used ikea for all of our furnishings, because they were way cheaper than other options and we knew that we were only using them for a few years. However, usually at the end, we sold them to other expat families and who knows how long they used them. We are building now, and I'm going down to check out for closets and maybe even look at the hardware. My only problem, in the past, 99% of the time, we were missing hardware of some sort when we unpacked the boxes and then it required another trip to get it. Our new home is thousand of miles away from a store. Did you assemble the Komplement pant hangers yourself or leave them for the builder?

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 9:09AM
More Discussions
It's March 2015: How is your build progressing?
Zorro-anyone can start one. :) Link to It's February...
autumn.4
Need help with rigid foam and wall insulation
I am designing a house in Northern Arkansas and am...
josh02_2001
After building....items you wish you would have thought of..
Hello, for those of you that built a house. After...
einajr
Master bath/closet suggestions
My wife and I are planning on building a house. We...
stancial
Desireable slope for drainage away from house and garage?
We're building a rectangular-ish house with an attached...
lookintomyeyes83
Sponsored Products
Diamond Style Edison 40W Incandescent Bulbs E12/E14 Base
$0.99 | ParrotUncle
Ulti-MATE Garage 13-Piece Workbench and Cabinet Super System - GA-1200-08-03
Hayneedle
Solid Brass Frog Cabinet Knob
Signature Hardware
Laura Ashley Lucille 7.5 in. Mauve Barrel Clip Shade SEL306
$23.40 | Home Depot
Laura Ashley Charlotte 14 in. Black Bell Shade SBL01014
$55.80 | Home Depot
Clarendon ZigZag Hand-Painted Wood Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hailey Teak Towel Rack
Signature Hardware
Tan Floral Embroidered Bell Shade 8x15x11 (Spider)
$36.99 | Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™