Putting Beadboard in Bathroom

pbx2_gwSeptember 10, 2012

We want to put Putting Beadboard in our bathroom(s).

How do we go about sealing out the moisture from the beadboard?

Appreciate any points. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
changingitup

I primed the back and front of our bathroom beadboard but still get shrinkage in the winter. We didn't glue it down, just nailed it, but wonder if that would make a difference?

Bookmark   September 10, 2012 at 11:02PM
pbx2_gw

What do you mean by Shrinkage ? thanks.

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 11:16AM
changingitup

The wood shrinks ( winter) and expands (usually summer) with the humidity showing gaps between the boards. I read that if you prime both sides and the tongues and grooves it will do this less.

It did not help ours enough as we still get gaps. We used the pine two board tongue and groove and primed all, nailed it down with probably not enough nails as I was hesitant after gutting the po's super glued, 2 million nailed sheetings off the walls resulting in a total gut...grrr.... Things that I wish I had done, 1-used more nails 2-glued 3- if I had it to do over I would purchase the pine sheet .

Bookmark   September 11, 2012 at 3:09PM
grammy46

I did use the composite wood fiber bead board (7" wide) panels in my half bath. It has been in for two years now without any shrinkage but I did prime the back, tongue and grove then after using construction glue to adhere the panels to the wall I proceeded to give the panels three coats of Ben Moore acrylic enamel. If it was my main bathroom or I had a family of kids I would prefer to us an inexpensive subway tile which is so much more durable. Iwas mainly interested in a retro look. Good luck in what ever you choose.

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 12:41AM
pbx2_gw

Thanks for the advice grammy46 & changingitup

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 10:16AM
kalindi615

I don't think there is anything you can do to keep the bead board from expanding and contracting slightly over time. I installed the wider version in my bath, I will add a link below.

It has been in for a year now. We installed during summer, it shrank during winter, (I am in MD and it is very humid during summer at times), re-expanded during the summer, and already seems to be settling back to it's shrink size for the winter. It is not that noticeable now. It was the first winter because of the last coat of paint.

I did prime before it went up, then painted two coats while up on the wall to get all the trim to blend together. When it shrank, the paint split so it looked kind of messy and didn't look right in the cracks. I just ran a space heater full blast for 2 days and made sure it was really dry in there at the driest part of winter then took a razor blade and very carefully worked each crack. Peeling out any excess paint and touching up all the way inside the crack with a tiny brush. This way when it expands and contracts it is much less noticeable.

We used just nails (with a nail gun). No glue. I would also beware of putting it up to tight if you think it is too dry and might expand. My dad did this in his bath and the boards buckled when the humidity it. Better to have them shrink a little than pop out.

Good luck,
Kalindi

Here is a link that might be useful: Wainscoting

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 11:14PM
More Discussions
White tubs not really white?
For our new build, I have chosen Imperial Blanco white...
mom2sulu
towel warmer. waster of space or must have?
thinking about buying the Costco anaconda comfort towel...
Edie Nicosia
108 year old claw foot tub stamped HYS
I've been having a very hard time trying to identify...
flippincrazy
Classic looking offset vanity top?
I'm planning out a bathroom remodel for a 1920s Craftsman...
resseger
What was hidden under my old bathroom floor!
When the contractor pulled up the tile on my old bathroom...
dancingcook
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™